eshopps 1800 overflow owners

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
so I have a 1800 overflow box here and im wondering how all of yous have it plumbed and setup ? cuz eshopps don't sell a drain hose to fit the 1.5" bulkhead they come with....now should I just plumb it with full hard pvc pipe with a couple ball valves and union valves on each end to be able to take it apart when needed if ever moved. or should I just get some pvc pipe that fit in bottom of bulkheads and slip a mesh vinyl hose over top of the pvc pipe and double clamp it, then have some pipe and elbow were it drains into my sump ? or maybe flexible pvc pipe with a couple hard line pieces in it id need (ball valve/union valve) any help would be great pics seem to help as well :)

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
I would hard PVC almost to sump then use.non kink hose to enter into sump. My signiture @ the bottom of my post have a link to my sump setup.
I thought bout doing that aswell, but if im using pvc majority of the way I may as well have pvc drop into the sump that way its less likely for the hoses to "flop" out of the sump lol

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
problem is if you PVC to sump into it's hard to move around or move things... i have a glass lid so the glass lid holds the non kink hose into position to the filter socks..
well my sump is all open in the top for now, and my drains would drop in right side of sump and have a 90deg elbow with straight pipe into the socks, the socks will be hung by string and to change em Id unhook the string from hook they hang from slide the sock down the straight pipe and insert the new clean ones

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
will it work better and have less resistance if I used flexible pipe ? or will It slow down the water for draining it with elbows ?

flexible pvc pipe I would only need 1 90 deg elbow were it would drop into the sump, a posed to hard line the entire way id have 4 elbows per drain .... plus im also going to have ball valves as well to turn it off when needed

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
with PVCs it's hard and cant maneuver around it where as flexible pipe you can move it around in case you need the room to work under the sump.. when i use PVC elbows i try to use less because the more you use the more resistance you'll place on the drain or pressure side of your system.. i used 2 45degree on one of my drain side to have less resistance... i dont know what your plan is but less elbows more less restrains of water flowing either direction.. to me i think placing ball valves on the drain side are a waste.. why you care if you care how much water comes into your sump where as if you pump is pumping too fast then i understand you want to restrict that flow with a ball valve..

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Well I'm gonna go the flexible pvc pipe route, I do have a ball valve on my return as the pump runs 2600gph@4ft .... So I can turn back the pump if needed yea.... As for drains. I prolly just slap a pair of 90deg elblows one per drain line so it drops into the sump....not having valves will save me 30$ roughly too

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
90* elbows can hurt your flow if space permits it try a pair of 45* elbows.

Or if your a mad scientist like me I used pvc conduit
uploadfromtaptalk1417184644580.jpg
That was my 1.5" return pump plumbing
Notice the conduit compared to the 45* elbows.

90*s work just fine but if your gonna be pushing the limits of the drains you may wanna engineer something with gentler curves that flow better

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Ya, I'm going to do flexible pvc pipe for both my drains with only one 90deg elbow to drop into the sump lil more expensive but shouldn't have any restriction

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store