Acrylic vs Plywood

fishy5

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
United State
I am planning on building 2 stacked tanks. Both 96 by 36 by 20. I was planning on building it out of acrylic but, then I saw plywood. I dont really like the way plywood tanks look but, they are WAY cheaper. I am leaning towards acrylic but, I am still looking into plywood. Can anyone post pics of some nice plywood tanks.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Here are two plywood tanks I just obtained, 6'x2'x2', 180G, mounted on the same stand, one above the other. There's nothing wrong with the way they will "perform" and IMO they look pretty good.

tank.jpg

tank.jpg

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Nice score! Not wanting to derail this thread... Do you have a thread discussing these and the way they were constructed?
No, these were originally made "professionally" and I purchased them used. New, one would run about $600 , pretty much the same as what I would pay for an all glass 180G locally. If you built it yourself, you might save but your time is worth something too. I'm not really sure about the details of the construction. However, there is lots of information online about how to construct plywood tanks, including MFK. Sorry I can't be of more help.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store