Best catfish for my lizards aquarium?

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
I have a Chinese water dragon and when I have built his final enclosure I want almost the whole bottom to be an aquarium, it will be approx 5'x2'x1.5'

I would like a community friendly catfish that stays under a foot, I like the pictus cats but I'm worried that if my lizard does decide to eat 1 the pectoral barbs would likely cause a problem.

I don't really want anything as small as corydoras or the like but any other ideas are appreciated :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I maybe mistaken but I think all catfish have barbs of some sort. maybe you could do a larger common pleco or royal pleco?

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
What bout a raphael catfish? They stay small(6-7") and are armoured so no chance of being eaten.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stiker

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2014
Plecos do have armouring, though they still do have the spines other catfish do

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
What bout a raphael catfish? They stay small(6-7") and are armoured so no chance of being eaten.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Yea they look cool but I would rather have something I am going to see now and then or at least be good at cleaning up and I've heard they are shy and messy?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
U
and as nocturnal hiders there is little chance of ever seeing them.

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
Plecos do have armouring, though they still do have the spines other catfish do
Yea I've been thinking of a Pleco but the big ones are extremely messy and it's going to be relatively low water volume for the tank size because of the depth and a lot of the smaller "pretty" ones are pricey and would be an expensive meal if my lizard ever did decide to chow down on it lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store