Anyone here running a fluidized bed filter?

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
I recently overhauled a Lifegard FB filter. I reglued all the parts and basically made it better than new again. My questions are 1) Who is running fluidized bed filters here, and 2) Who is running them in ADDITION to their normal filter setup? I keep CA cichlids for the most part. I know some of the ray keepers run Purigen and the like in these reactors and I'm thinking of adding it just to keep the water at a super clean level. My ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are already well within acceptable at 0, 0, and > 15 ppm respectively. Thoughts ladies and gentleman?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
That last post should read LESS than 15 ppm on nitrates...

fuzzlebug

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
scotland
I dont have one but will do a diy k1/k3 version when i get a big setup. There great, amazing bio filters IF set up correctly. However they do have to be sized for the tank. The bigger the tank the bigger the filter has to be. Personally i dont like the sand filters, they clog and if theres a power outage they are difficult to reboot.

Sent from my GT-S6810P using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Aquafreak

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fleetwood, PA
I originally picked the unit up for pennies and had plans to use it for biological media/sand on a smaller setup. After fixing it all up I am now considering a adsorbant resin like Purigen for one of my bigger tanks. I have heard horror stories of these things letting loose while someone was away at work and irrigating their carpet!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store