Need advice on adding a new ray to a tank

iggalot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2011
Evansville, IN
Hi all, I acquired a pair of marbled motoro stingray pups 5 years ago from a local breeder. Unfortunately, the female passed away unexpectedly a couple months ago. I am now toying with the idea of adding a new stingray to the tank. The boy is currently about 10" disc size, with no tank mate at the moment. How do I go about selecting a companion for my boy? Should I find one that is about the same size/bigger/smaller? Would male/female matter? He's currently in a 190 gal 40" cube tank. Thanks!

brutonsbrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2010
hampton
I would find a slightly larger female I case they try mating similar sized male works too and males stay smaller. Also may need to upgrade tank my female mm has over 20" inch disk.

iggalot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2011
Evansville, IN
Thanks for the advice. It's so difficult to find an adult captive bred female. Most of them available are either a small pup or wild caught. I was warned about the potential size on them by the breeder since their parents were 12" and 14". I was fully expected to upgrade the tank (even had the floor reinforced to support such tank) but they just kind of slowed down on growing since they were about 2.5 years old. maybe another male would be my best bet. I was not sure if there's such thing as male/male aggression in motoros. Thanks again for the help!

RayFanatic2014

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2014
Mount Prospect, Illinois
Check out Underwater Worlds in Bensenvill IL. Ask for Cisco and tell him Daniel sent you. He can get you adult sized rays. I purchased my first one from him and he's awesome.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
These must be mini Marbles. A 10" disc in 5 years doesn't sound right. I've seen that in little over a year and a half.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store