Kids new Oscars.

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
Couple of weeks ago we went to Petsmart, and my daughter decided she wanted to get an Oscar. She wanted some red tiger albino's and pet smart had 2 of them left.. emaciated and struggling. Was pretty pathetic tbh, the bellies were completely concaved.. got em both for 5$ total after pointing out that'd itd be a miracle if we got them to survive. Since getting them home, she's had them in a 20L. They were maybe 1.5-2" when she first got them. They've put on a half inch so far and their bellies are starting to fill out. She's asked for a 75g for Christmas for her 'big' gift so that she can grow them out more. Initially we'd told her it depended on how well she too care of them.. she's done great there, maybe a little overzealous on the feeding lol. They get fed every few hours.. NLS regular and Thera+ with garlic.

9bd9dad2d7.jpg
e550c5c071.jpg

They're pretty well trained at this point. They stay in the back where it's dark lurking, unless someone comes in to the room or starts moving around and then they bound up and down along the front of the tank. Got a small video loading up shortly. She's pretty stoked about them, which makes me stoked :)

9bd9dad2d7.jpg

e550c5c071.jpg

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
Totally cool!! F Panther's suggestion of a 125 is a good idea too; it'll actually make your life easier because the 75 would require more constant attention to keep the water clean for them.

teqvet

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
SE
She's only keeping 1 of them, she's just growing them out to see which one ends up looking better. I only opted for them both since they were both in such poor shape when she got them from Petsmart. TBH, i was pretty sure both were going to die. But she's been pretty avid about 'reminding' me to do water changes and she feeds them on such a solid schedule.. They both should be looking solid looking by the time they move to a larger tank and she'll have a hard time making a choice I'm sure ;)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
[video=youtube;vdom3pjQHJQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdom3pjQHJQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Nice Juvenile Albino O's:), I don't know how long those tetra's are going to last in there with the O's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store