How to tell the difference between Atractosteus species.

verawrf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Florida
Iv'e been wanting a tropical/cuban gar for a while now. I know they are hard to come by so i have been keeping an eye out everywhere. I have noticed my LFS has no idea what they are selling, I have bought 3 florida gar from them all sold as different fish. Anyway I see they have some gator gar while I was there today, but i really have no idea how to distinguish between gator, and tropical gar. Pics are pretty bad, but any info would be greatly appreciated.

gar.jpg
gar2.jpg
gar3.jpg

gar.jpg

gar2.jpg

gar3.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
This may help. Uploaded from prior id thread. I take no credit for the pic. This was uploaded by Wednesday13.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1417047802.534423.jpg

verawrf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Florida
A similar picture would help if it were A.Spatula and A.tropicus. Even then I feel like YOY of both species look the same from the top.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
those big puppy dog eyes hiding the killer behind them is always the giveaway on gator gars...and thats what those look like to me.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
H]-[H;7049463 said:
The pattern, eyes and snout of an alligator gar is a dead giveaway..
eyes and snout are always a dead giveaway on gator gars haha.

verawrf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Florida
I know how to id gators...and i know the pictures posted are gators. Im asking how can i differentiate between a young gator and a young tropical gar. Obviously if they where adults it would be a dead give away by size, but i feel tropical and gator YOY look the same. The cubans morph is easy to spot.

This post has nothing to do with Lepisosteus species. Specifically how can i tell the difference between a young gator and a young tropical gar.

verawrf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2014
Florida
Yeah they look nothing alike pattern wise. Iv'e only seen a few pics of juvenile trops and they looked just like gators, possibly mislabeled. Anyway thanks again for the pic.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store