Fish bowls....

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Why do these still exist? 4 months ago, I went to petco to buy a thermometer for a new tank I was setting up. I see some woman and her 7-8 year old son looking for fish. Out of curiosity I asked if they kept fish, and what size aquarium they had. The lady replies "oh, we have a bowl" *sigh* her son points at a random fish which happened to be a JEWEL CICHLID. I tell them those fish need heated, filtered tanks of decent size. She then says "I can't afford a $30 heater for some dumb fish!" And she then suggests getting 2 black moor goldfish. I tell her they produce massive amounts of ammonia and she looks at me with a baffled expression saying "what's monia?" .....I tell her they get huge and should be kept in a tank of at least 20-30 gallons. She then says this....are you ready for cringe? "Well I kept 2 black moors in a bowl and they lived for a year!" I tell her they can live for 15-20 and looks at me like I'm from another planet. She asks how a 15 year old knows all this. I tell her that I have 7 aquariums at home, ranging from 15-240 gallons and tells me I'm crazy and leaves. And before you ask, yes. This actually happened.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Fish bowls are pointless, I agree.

The sad fact is that it's an industry. Thats how they make money. Unfortunately they make more money on those customers, killing and buying dozens of fish, than you - the responsibile fish keeper who stops by once a month for some food and some prime.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FluffySackson

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2014
Uh. I admit I wasn't a great fishkeeper 4 years ago, I learned alot from the mistakes I made(which was alot, trust me). These people never seem to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FishFrenzy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2014
Philadelphia, Pa
take a look at any domesticated animal and the story is the same. It's a business and there will always be someone out there that keeps this viscous cycle going, with no feelings toward the animals that are stuck in the middle. It makes me cringe with the stupidity of these so called animal lovers.

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
been there, done that, doesn't get any easier at 19.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store