Female BD Stabbed Herself

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
My female BD literally stabbed herself with her own tail/barb today (her tail is wrapped around her side and stuck in). She had been like this for hours. The wound in her side was nasty.

She spawned with my male a few days ago. I just had to net her and get her barb out of her side. Clip the barbs on your breeders guys. Thanks again for the advice DIDSYS, I appreciate it bro..

uploadfromtaptalk1417073764781.jpg

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Call/text anytime, hope she will be back normal in no time for you.
Interesting this happened right now as I have been talking with breeders in other parts of the world and they clip all of their rays. I've been thinking about doing the same but decided not to as its just extra work to do and yes can be a little stress for all of about a few min. I think this has given me the motivation to just do it.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
OMG!
Whats the chances of that happening?!
Well done to you for geting it sorted. I must admit i freak at the idea of just having to catch a big ray let alone having to deal with something like this.
Hats off to you sir.

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
I can vouch for breeding to get nasty.
How do you go about clipping barbs? With toe nail cutters? Does this cause pain? Could we not just add airline tube to the barb as they do when transporting rays in bags?

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1417102498.690876.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I use a pair of wire cutters. I'll try to document it when I do mine here soon.

I can vouch for breeding to get nasty.
How do you go about clipping barbs? With toe nail cutters? Does this cause pain? Could we not just add airline tube to the barb as they do when transporting rays in bags?

View attachment 1049256

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I use a pair of wire cutters. I'll try to document it when I do mine here soon.
I used these ZooMed tongs, angling gloves and had a clean knife ready just in case. I hard to work it out in one shot since cutting it was making it worse. The more she moved the more it impacted.

uploadfromtaptalk1417110818490.jpg

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
OMG!
Whats the chances of that happening?!
Well done to you for geting it sorted. I must admit i freak at the idea of just having to catch a big ray let alone having to deal with something like this.
Hats off to you sir.
Trust me Jim is was freaking out at first. I think the chances were higher than I thought. I believe she was getting the male off of her. She is already pregnant and he keeps getting after her. I have to separate them.

Her disk is pretty chewed up but she is OK and was resting this morning when I checked on her.

uploadfromtaptalk1417111734861.jpg

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I like the long handle pliers for reaching in and grabbing barbs and clipping if you need to grab ahold. Some rays are just better than others i have found. But for pups anymore I just reach in with the cutters and can get them easily. Key it to be patient and grab and clip all at once, all at the same time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store