EBJD tank

fishkeeper01

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2014
Hawaii
I bought and EBJD about a month age. It's about 1.5-2". I know know that JD in general are kinda shy, but my guy is pretty social. For how small he is he rarely hides always is out begging for food. My question is if it will stress him out if I leave the tank somewhat bare with out much decor. At the same time I was thinking of doing a nice driftwood piece with some java fern, would that cause him to hide more?

Oxymus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2013
Freehold
If you giving him more hiding place then it will hide most of the time, also it's depend on your fish too.

903Herp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2014
North east texas
I recently bought a 1.5" electric blue jack. In my tank i have a bunch of hiding spots and he never hides. He goes toe to toe with my other fish that are bit bigger. (not fighting but is not afraid to get in the mix for food or his favorite spot by the heater.)

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
I recently bought a 1.5" electric blue jack. In my tank i have a bunch of hiding spots and he never hides. He goes toe to toe with my other fish that are bit bigger. (not fighting but is not afraid to get in the mix for food or his favorite spot by the heater.)
I would just raise the ebjd with only community fish. No other aggressive fish. They get stressed out really easy until they hit about 3"-4". I've been through 4. All starting out as fry. Until someone on this board gave me some good advice to raise them alone. And so far almost a year Mines about 3.5" right now and have him in a 30 gallon with community fish and a Geophagus. I will say this they are very very slow growers. I know people say they have grown them fast but I find it hard to believe that. Maybe power feeding them but then you would shorten the life span of the fish by doing that.

Good luck on growing out your ebjd.

Sent from my XT1096 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Murrayt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2014
California
You won't be able to tell the electric blues true personality until it's much bigger. I agree with what is said above, house it with community fish. My electric blue had amazing blue and red coloration. Was my favorite fish, but it developed fungus out of nowhere and died within a few days. Very fragile fish. Also will hide a lot if it feels the least bit uncomfortable, but that's not an issue for most because it's not considered a 'show fish'.

903Herp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2014
North east texas
I would just raise the ebjd with only community fish. No other aggressive fish. They get stressed out really easy until they hit about 3"-4". I've been through 4. All starting out as fry. Until someone on this board gave me some good advice to raise them alone. And so far almost a year Mines about 3.5" right now and have him in a 30 gallon with community fish and a Geophagus. I will say this they are very very slow growers. I know people say they have grown them fast but I find it hard to believe that. Maybe power feeding them but then you would shorten the life span of the fish by doing that.

Good luck on growing out your ebjd.

Sent from my XT1096 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
thank you :) So far so good. I have been staying up on my water changes and monitoring very closely. I notice that at times he will get a bit more of the goldish color on his sides. I will feed him and it goes back to very brilliant blue. Luckily none of the other fish in my tank mess with him. My only problem fish that I have is a red tail shark that likes to chase around the lake malawi cichlid that my wife just had to have :(. I am trying to find a new home for both fish right now as I like my peaceful bottom feeders and my EBJD.

Also sorry for the delay in replying, I have not logged onto the forums in a little while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store