Tig in a 220

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
I have been doing some digging but I seem to be getting mixed results on their growth rate? Some seem to say they grow fast up to about 18" in a year and others seem to say they grow rather slow? So the ultimate question here is how long would one last in a 220 6'x2'? Thank you all in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
IME and that of others they hit 12" in the first year (starting from 3"-5") and then slow down 10x. Some do report faster growth but not spectacularly faster, still somewhat significantly faster.

My straw man explanation behind the variation is that tigs are not easy to wean off live and they compete poorly in community tanks and can be choosy etc. In other words, the variation in the efficacy of the feeding results in variation of the reported growth rates.

I've always had problems weaning and feeding (to my content) my tigs and jurs.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Got mine at 4" in Jan 13. Just measured the other day at 25". Only fed live the first few days. It took till this spring to get off tilapia and shrimp. Now it eats anything I throw in. It stopped hiding a few months ago and swims in the open all day.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
Got mine at 4" in Jan 13. Just measured the other day at 25". Only fed live the first few days. It took till this spring to get off tilapia and shrimp. Now it eats anything I throw in. It stopped hiding a few months ago and swims in the open all day.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
No you have had it nearly 2 years

That's fast growth

Let's see some pics

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I have been doing some digging but I seem to be getting mixed results on their growth rate? Some seem to say they grow fast up to about 18" in a year and others seem to say they grow rather slow? So the ultimate question here is how long would one last in a 220 6'x2'? Thank you all in advance!

I think even a 12" tig would be to big for a 6x2
They don't bend to well so need a lot of turning room

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store