Red eyes or Black eyed Albinos

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
Am I correct in thinking that red eyed albinos will turn yellow with age and black eyed albinos are being called platinums and will become a brighter silver?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Am I correct in thinking that red eyed albinos will turn yellow with age and black eyed albinos are being called platinums and will become a brighter silver?
Albinos have red eyes and retain pigment anywhere from whites to yellows to reds/oranges...all depends on each individual specimen. the correct term for "platinum" is Leucistic, no such thing as a black eyed albino. Leucistic specimen are lacking pigment all together, have black eyes and are ghost white in appearance. Often sold as platinum or "snow" to describe the total lack of pigment. Silver color is not possible in leucism... Leucistic specimen often fetch more money than albinos due to the total lack of pigment. There are some true albinos that rival leu specimen but again its based on individual fish as everyone in the batch will look different to an extent. Sure, some albinos may change color a bit during their life but they stay pretty much the same white to yellowish color from juvi size.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
uploadfromtaptalk1417141805078.jpg
Albino, pigments are still present
uploadfromtaptalk1417141848019.jpg
Leucistic, no pigment present

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
OK thanks for info. I have a lfs who is selling "albinos", but they have black eyes? So he is really selling platinums(leucistic)?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
OK thanks for info. I have a lfs who is selling "albinos", but they have black eyes? So he is really selling platinums(leucistic)?
Lotta debate about these new albino aros hitting the streets in the u.s.... even tho the eyes may appear black in smaller sized specimen in most cases there actually red. Id gladly purchace any variant of albino/leu aro lol... but id say most are actually albino or theyd be asking way more $$$ for leucistic. Any pics? If theres any signs of red pigment on the fins there def. Albino regardless if the eyes look black. Ive owned several albino catfish who appeared to have black eyes but as they grew the red/clear eyes became more visible.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
The reason the albinos turn yellow is due to lighting. They get a "tan" as they have no protective pigments. If you kept one in the complete darkness it will be white as an adult.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jobu28

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2013
NC
I didn't know that gorak. I like the real bright yellow ones. Thought that was their color, lol. That's why I was asking the questions because I've seen some black eyed ones not turn yellow. Good to know

K_Cichlids

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2010
have a young albino and these information are really helpful. My is only several inches with black eyes but I love the red eyes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store