Crayfish with turtle

Smithen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2014
Goshen, Ohio
In short, no. Turtles like to eat crayfish so I would say it is not recommended to keep them together if you want the crayfish to survive.

Tyler

ceeej31

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
New England
I used to keep 3-4" crayfish with a 5" painted turtle. The key was making sure there were plenty of caves for the crayfish. Usually the turtle would still get them eventually and I'd have to replace the crayfish, they were good at eating food the turtle dropped. If you are attached to the crayfish I wouldn't do it.

Arthur

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2005
michigan
If you're attached to the crayfish, don't do it.

Having feed crayfish to a turtle before, I would say don't do it. My turtle struck and grabbed the crayfish, and the crayfish proceeded to claw and pinch whatever it could for as long as it could. I do not want a one eyed turtle, so that was the last time I will put a live crayfish in it's tank.

So, the only crayfish I would put with a turtle is a dead crayfish

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
Predator = Turtle
Prey = Crayfish

Not the best game plan....

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
either the crayfish will kill a small turtle or the turtle will eat the crayfish.

syddakyd

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2008
NY
if you snap off the bottom pincher of each claw with say a nail clipper....the crawfish is rendered harmless but still has the confidence with the claws. I tell everyone IRL to do it. You can keep them with community fish that way too. obviously you want to feed it. crawfish are more of a prey then predator IMO especially when molting. I keep fish with my painted. im getting a crawfish soon. as you can see i have plenty of caves and a large water volume to allow things to escape.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store