75g Filtration

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
Setting up a new 75 and was interested in using only sponge filters. I have one single flowerhorn and was wondering if it was possible to use two hydor v pro's as the sole source of filtration. I do water changes 2-3 times a week.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Setting up a new 75 and was interested in using only sponge filters. I have one single flowerhorn and was wondering if it was possible to use two hydor v pro's as the sole source of filtration. I do water changes 2-3 times a week.

yes:)

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Power head would give more suction power for sponge, may also outlast the air pump. Either way alternate rinsing sponges in old water during wc's.

fishbum

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2007
Antarctica
A powerhead on a sponge filter would work fine. That way you don't have to buy a air pump and a powerhead.

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
I just don't want to spend to much money right now. I have some options I have a rena xp3 I could use in conjuction with the sponges or an aqueon 55/75. If I really had to l could get 2 ac 110s but I love the sound and look of the sponges and would like to use them solely.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
You "love the look of a sponge"? haha.....well, ok.....to each their own.

As long as you're vacuuming when you do wc, sponges will be just fine. You don't need powerheads unless you're looking for more current in the tank. Plus powerheads will cost more to own and operate in terms of electrical consumption, and I find they tend to be too much suction for sponges and clog up the sponges much quicker thus requiring more frequent maintenance on the sponges themselves.

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
You "love the look of a sponge"? haha.....well, ok.....to each their own.

As long as you're vacuuming when you do wc, sponges will be just fine. You don't need powerheads unless you're looking for more current in the tank. Plus powerheads will cost more to own and operate in terms of electrical consumption, and I find they tend to be too much suction for sponges and clog up the sponges much quicker thus requiring more frequent maintenance on the sponges themselves.
They remind me of when I was a kid so much which is why I think I love the way they look lol. I always vacuum when I do water changes but I may run a 55/75 that I have laying around in addition to help out with mechanical filtration.

Sent from my LGLS990 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
I got a 75g that is currently filtered solely by two large sponge filters although the only inhabitants are 8 4" cyathopharynx furcifers and do 40-50% WC 2x a week

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store