Frontosa ratio

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
What is a good frontosa ratio? well the least I can do with two males? I plan on starting to sex them in the next month or so and get rid of all but two males that I know 100% are males via vent. I want to trade my males for young fish in hopes to increase my ratio but I want to keep the amount of fish in my tank around 10

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BasicallyBane

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2014
Fort Wayne, IN
I'd keep it to one male and the rest female if you can. If the tank is large enough like 200-220, Im sure 2 males will be okay. All depends on temperament. I had 2 males get along, and one that would non stop chase my subdominant male till he tried to kill himself.

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
I would keep 2-3 males to breeding age and the decide which on treats the girls the best, or there is a clear alpha. The wrong male can ruin the harmony of the tank and can put a lot of stress on the girls.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So when should I start removing males? I know out of the 15 well I think I know I didn't vent... I have 2 for sure males just judging by size and behavior I was thinking of just keeping the two biggest and starting to vent and getting rid of any other males and trading them in for younger fish and growing them up I was thinking of ending up with 2+8 so total of 10

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Your ratio should work fine, in a 220 you could even do 12 (2+10). If your colony is from the same clutch, you may want to think about new blood for your males. I would vent them all to see what you have, it's the only true way to tell.

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
You are correct, they can be very difficult to vent. I still have trouble with it, but the bigger they are the easier. What type of Fronts do you have, maybe talk to the breeder to see if they did come from the same clutch or parents before you make a decision. There is definitely no shortage of males out there. I still have two extra males in other tanks because I couldn't decide. Lol

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Got em from a private breeder he had 2 males and 7 females in his breeder tank the fish were a mix of all the fry so there's no way to tell the parents because all the fry went into a large grow out tank all different in ages by a cpl weeks if I remember

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store