i want a wels cat

carplover55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2014
United States
if anyone knows where i can get a baby wels cat in Pa.......let me know......dont want to buy out of state......sturgeon would be nice too......and a question...do flathead cats have the same spawning behavior as bullheads or channels????....i know where and when to catch baby bullheads but im not too sure about flatheads since they are now in the schuylkill river they are fair game.....

carplover55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2014
United States
this is true.......a sterlet would be better coz they only get a yard long.....dont know how fast wels grow either.....some fish will match their size to their house....(not carp though)....probably go crazy trying to catch enough food....

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
.......a sterlet would be better coz they only get a yard long....
Solid info on sterlet: http://www.sturgeon-web.co.uk/sterlet-sturgeon-acipenser-ruthenus

.....dont know how fast wels grow either....
Should be ~3' in ~3 years in temperate climate. At 3', a wels could swallow a 1.5' carp/koi and may even have a go at a 2'-er.

.....some fish will match their size to their house....(not carp though)....
Correct me if I am wrong but I'd think this is called "stunting". The degree of stunting indeed varies between species. When intentional, it goes against the rules of humane pet keeping. Again, I'd think.

...probably go crazy trying to catch enough food....
Few can compete with a bunch of carp/koi for food. These are piglets with fins.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Flatheads have similar spawning behavior to bullheads but not identical. If you want a bullhead they're pretty easy to tell apart from flatties.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Actually, Wels reach 3' in a year and a half, not 3 years, and at that size, is already too big for a 600 g pond.

carplover55

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2014
United States
Flatheads have similar spawning behavior to bullheads but not identical. If you want a bullhead they're pretty easy to tell apart from flatties.
i already have 3 baby brown bullheads in a 20 gal tank and a 6 incher in the pond with the koi......when the little guys get too big for the tank..they will go outside too

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store