Background - clear, blue, black, mirror

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I love my black background but on some darg species or ambush preds, it sucks. Can't go wrong with black or blue. I never used film but I was happy on a small tank I painted black.

everlastace

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2011
Utah
Plastidip. The BEST background no matter what color you use. You can get it in a spray can or a bucket. I spray it on the back of all my tanks, always looks clean, no gloss, and the best part is that it peels off in one piece of you want to change it. I use black on all my tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
BLACK!!!!!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I have black on one tank and light blue on another and while they both look nice I like the blue better.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Nice examples Duanes....reminds me to put back on the blue background that a had to take off of the tank.

ukgoffer

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2012
Westport, CT
Plastidip. The BEST background no matter what color you use. You can get it in a spray can or a bucket. I spray it on the back of all my tanks, always looks clean, no gloss, and the best part is that it peels off in one piece of you want to change it. I use black on all my tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
What kind of coverage do you get from a can? You don't get any spray lines on the glass side at all?

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
I tend to go black on my pred tanks and blue on Malawi's , if your spraying best to do thin layers until its covered this way you'll get a nice even finish with no thick areas or drips ( if the tanks stood up )

Sent from my Nexus 7 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I find blue looks most natural when placed behind pelagic fish, for open ocean, or open water lake fish. And if a light is placed behind the tank with the right shade of blue, there is an interesting effect reminds me of when I'm scuba diving in open water.
Most of my fish are not pelagic though, so I choose black a majority of the time.
I like to use black spray paint on a styrofoam insulation sheet, as opposed to painting the glass, it has the added benefit of keeping temp stable, (keeping heater energy cost down).
And because if you decide to switch front to back,you have that option.
The styro seems to protect the window in case the opposite side gets scratched.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store