What to Feed Giant Danio Fry?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Came home from my LFS to find 6 very very small giant danio fry in my 75G! I never even saw eggs or breeding behavior but they're the only species I have in that tank that I have more than 1 fish of so that's all it could be. I have the 6 in a plastic container with an air stone until they grow bigger but I have no idea what to feed them. They're much smaller fry than the typical fish I breed and I'm not sure if they could eat crushed flake which is all I have available as of now. Any feeding ideas?

EDIT: Make that 9 or 10 fry :)

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Hikari First Bites, Instant baby brine shrimp.:)
Thanks but they're actually to small for even those!

I might try those when they're bigger but for now I'm feeding them sponge filter "juice" or "gunk".

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks but they're actually to small for even those!

I might try those when they're bigger but for now I'm feeding them sponge filter "juice" or "gunk".

The Hikari First Bites is a very fine powder food. I would also suggest micro worms, but don't know if you want to start a culture.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
The Hikari First Bites is a very fine powder food. I would also suggest micro worms, but don't know if you want to start a culture.
im definitely going to start culturing microworms soon, I was tempted to buy some today but I'm not sure what kind of mixture to put them in.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
im definitely going to start culturing microworms soon, I was tempted to buy some today but I'm not sure what kind of mixture to put them in.

I use quick oats, and make depth of oatmeal about 1nch deep, use distilled or use water from tap after a day and is room temperature then mix water/oatmeal until its like a peanut butter texture , sprinkle baker's yeast over mixter, then spread live culture on top. I use 4oz. 3inch clear plastic container's, and put very small holes around entire lid one layer of small holes is all they need for air. Only negative thing about micro worms is the smell lol. It will be a year in December culturing micro worm's :).

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I use quick oats, and make depth of oatmeal about 1nch deep, use distilled or use water from tap after a day and is room temperature then mix water/oatmeal until its like a peanut butter texture , sprinkle baker's yeast over mixter, then spread live culture on top. I use 4oz. 3inch clear plastic container's, and put very small holes around entire lid one layer of small holes is all they need for air. Only negative thing about micro worms is the smell lol. It will be a year in December culturing micro worm's :).
Important make sure oats have 0 sodium.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Gotcha, thanks! I actually was using microworms for cichlid fry back in April but I couldn't figure out what to use for the mixture so they eventually died off.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Do you guys think it'd be alright if I put the 12 fry (yeah there's 12 now apparently :)) in a marineland hang-on breeder box (probably like 0.75G) without aeration as long as I did daily water changes on it? I don't think he fry need that much air at their size and I'd gladly aerate it but the pump for that system is pretty much maxed out on lines and consequently air output per line, if I added another line there wouldn't be enough pressure to keep the sponge filters going for those tanks. I think in that it would be easier to change water, easier to see and account for all the fry, easier to feed them, and easier to watch growth patterns. But I don't want them to die from lack of air so I'll leave it up to you breeders whether it's a good idea or I should just leave them in their plastic container.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store