yangze river sturgeon

chris1990

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2014
china
saw these guys at a local fishstore recently . The owner told me these are juvenile farm raised sturgeon from a species that lives in the yangze river . I am no expert in surgeon , so can you guys help me identify those plz
DSC_1623.jpgDSC_1618.jpgDSC_1620.jpgDSC_1623.jpg

DSC_1618.jpg

DSC_1620.jpg

DSC_1623.jpg

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Those look like diamond sturgeons. I do want some more sturgeons. Where they at?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pssymon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2014
Netherlands
If they are in China, they could very well be Yangtze sturgeon. It's a bit difficult to say from these photos + they are juveniles which makes it a bit more difficult. I have never seen one in real life. They may not be 100% legal since the owner does not want you to specify the location of his store. Cites states it is legal to be sold however (probably with a permit, maybe he does not have one). I have a sturgeon identification guide which I can check for you, I'm on my phone right now.

Pssymon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2014
Netherlands
The identification guide doesn't say much about them, it does mention they do look similar to Diamond sturgeon. They should have 29 gill rakers and 44 dorsal fin rays, but this is quite difficult to determine. Also, they should have the barbels located close to the mouth. Judging from the area they could very well be Yangtze sturgeon (Acipenser dabryanus), or possibly Diamond sturgeon but they do look a bit different to me than the Diamonds I'm used to seeing.

AU_Arowana-RG

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2008
Cebu, Phillipines
thx for your reply . these are possibly sturgeon from the government restocking program farms .
Probably.

It wouldn't surprise me if some Sturgeon fry in those farms ended up getting sold. I'm not sure about how well enforced CITES is in China, but if ever you get them, at least be sure to treat them well. They look like beauties.

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
the ones that were also imported from china to korea a few months back looked similar. they said they were Yangtze River Stugeon. regret not gettin htem but they were way to expensive

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
It's common practice for government-contracted hatcheries to sell any overstock onto the pet and foods markets once they've met the government contract restocking numbers requirements. That's exactly how we (in the US) wind up seeing white sturgeon and paddlefish fry available from pet sources.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store