overflows plumbed and sump FINISHED !! :D

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Well I finally got my sump all setup and finished today only took like a month hahahaha but iam pretty proud of myself none the less :D 1st time doing something like this....

Sump is a 30x12x18 (30g) pump is a RC Electrical that's pumping 2600gph@4ft of head, overflow is the eshopps 1800 model

Works good for me, only thing I dislike is the drains don't drain as fast as I thought they would I wish I had double the drain speed I have now with them lol.... Pump is throttled back about half give or take ... Now I do have to figure out where to put my powerheads now tho as I getting lots of dirt settling on the ground in the tank not as much movement as 3fx5's lol.... But here are some pics any ideas tips or help would duely noted :)

setup1.jpg

setup2.jpg

setup3.jpg

setup4.jpg

setup5.jpg

setup6.jpg

setup7.jpg

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Pics are a little messed up due to not loading them in right order lol ..... But also have some simulated "power outtages and all looks to be good, and yes I have a siphon break in the return line actually I have 3 just incase one or two get clogged or plugged/covered by plant from tank or something silly

setup8.jpg

setup9.jpg

setup10.jpg

setup12.jpg

setup13.jpg

setupmess.jpg

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Well the space under there is what holds the heaters, it that high for them to sit on the brackets.... Thoink it about 2" ..... What is bip home !? Never heard of it before

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
when running a sump how full should my sump be when power is cut off to the pump should my sump be totally full ?? seems like the overflow doesn't drain as much as I thought it would and I have the pump throttled back ALOT ... how full should the overflow be when it operating in my eshopps 1800 ?

Here a couple pics of where the water levels are during operation

IMG-20141202-00613.jpg

IMG-20141202-00614.jpg

IMG-20141202-00615.jpg

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
My water level in the front portion of the overflow is maybe 1/4th an inch below the tank water level when the pump is going full steam. It looks like you could crank it up a bit and be fine. Once the tank and overflow are at equal levels you've maxed out the box, and I'd turn the return down a bit.

How does the back look? I had issues with return flow being slowed due to the pre-filters causing the backside to have a higher water level than it should. I yanked them off and did a temporary mod to quiet it down until I put together a stockman standpipe.

As for powerloss, as long as the sump isn't overflowing you're golden. Generally a return line without a siphon break (or one that is plugged up/too small) or just an undersized sump are the main causes for an overflow.

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
My water level in the front portion of the overflow is maybe 1/4th an inch below the tank water level when the pump is going full steam. It looks like you could crank it up a bit and be fine. Once the tank and overflow are at equal levels you've maxed out the box, and I'd turn the return down a bit.

How does the back look? I had issues with return flow being slowed due to the pre-filters causing the backside to have a higher water level than it should. I yanked them off and did a temporary mod to quiet it down until I put together a stockman standpipe.

As for powerloss, as long as the sump isn't overflowing you're golden. Generally a return line without a siphon break (or one that is plugged up/too small) or just an undersized sump are the main causes for an overflow.
well water level is about 1-3/4" in black overflow part below the top. level in back part is abut 4" high and was really nosey but I have a couple pieces of standard air lie inside the clear tubes and also with the lid I made for it at work seems to help make it pretty darn quiet now basically there is almost next to nothing for noise or water fall i have nioticed...my pump i have is alot strong GHP then the drains will allow too, i have had the sponges out but i find with sponges in they help catch alot of the big stuff before hitting my 25 microns socks in the sump so it seems to help alot from the socks clogging like fast ....and yes i do notice that the sponges hold back a bit of gph when draining and i have done some power outage's and all seems to be totally good with the system i have a couple holes drilled in my return to get a siphon break did a couple incase one some how get clogged and have another for a back up just in case as ya never know right lol.. so you think I should have my pump turned up more so It 1/4" to 1/2" from tank level ?

one thing I wondered is if the lil stand pipes were removed and water was drained straight down through the bulkheads if it would drain faster ?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Looks good!

Looks like its gonna be a bit of a PITA to do maintenance though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store