How to get frontosa to stop hiding

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Every colony has their own personality, but for the most part when they are secure and comfortable in the tank they should be out more. An over aggressive male or an unstable colony ( still working out the pecking order) can cause them to hide a lot. The amount of Fronts and tank size can also effect their behavior as each fish will be trying to keep their piece of the tank.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
So should I add more hiding spots or take away? I was thinking of just one or two big rocks and the rest open so they can't hide but I feel like if someone took away my house I'd be mad

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
In my 180 I have a cave for my male and then 4 large rocks, the rocks are big enough for them to hide behind and spread out enough so they can swim around when be chased.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Generally speaking I'm more in the give them a lot of hiding places and oftentimes they'll use them school of thought. Eliminate or reduce places to hide and shy but otherwise healthy fronts will usually get over it ime. They're not a cave dwelling fish in the wild and don't particularly need caves in a tank. Their habitat is often rocky, yes, and they spend time in the vicinity of rocks, but in the open, not hanging out in caves all day. Not that caves or cover can't be useful in certain circumstances, like to give a female a refuge from an aggressive male, but that depends on the temperament of the male, size of tank, number in your group, etc.

It also helps to spend time sitting close to the tank. They're a naturally curious fish, will usually come check you out eventually, and this can help tame them to you. More sociable tankmates will sometimes bring them out more, somewhat like a dither concept. Oddly enough, occasionally food makes a difference. Feed them a pellet they don't like much and I've seen them sulk, compared to feeding them a pellet they like. Sounds weird, but true.

But if you have a good sized group like it sounds, I'd expect having the tank be mostly pretty open would help. That's what I've seen with mine and I've kept them (and bred them) for years. I'll have a few large rocks, but I don't normally create caves as such.

Jag586

Piranha
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
st clair shores
Yea I went down last night to feed em and watch em, 14 of the 15 fish were out I checked overflow I checked everywhere couldn't find number 15 well after a while I noticed the rocks were different I moved one and out came 15 a small rock fall caused one of the fish to get stuck in a "cave" he was fine just hungry. Needless to say I'm going with two or three big rocks nothing stacked those guys dig so much I'm not risking one dying

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Generally speaking I'm more in the give them a lot of hiding places and oftentimes they'll use them school of thought. Eliminate or reduce places to hide and shy but otherwise healthy fronts will usually get over it ime. They're not a cave dwelling fish in the wild and don't particularly need caves in a tank. Their habitat is often rocky, yes, and they spend time in the vicinity of rocks, but in the open, not hanging out in caves all day. Not that caves or cover can't be useful in certain circumstances, like to give a female a refuge from an aggressive male, but that depends on the temperament of the male, size of tank, number in your group, etc.

It also helps to spend time sitting close to the tank. They're a naturally curious fish, will usually come check you out eventually, and this can help tame them to you. More sociable tankmates will sometimes bring them out more, somewhat like a dither concept. Oddly enough, occasionally food makes a difference. Feed them a pellet they don't like much and I've seen them sulk, compared to feeding them a pellet they like. Sounds weird, but true.

But if you have a good sized group like it sounds, I'd expect having the tank be mostly pretty open would help. That's what I've seen with mine and I've kept them (and bred them) for years. I'll have a few large rocks, but I don't normally create caves as such.
Could not have said it any better, my tank is on the end of my couch and I swear they spend more time watching me than me watching them. On your other point I was laughing, my male eats from my hand and always gets a treat on water change day. Well this one day I was in a hurry and forgot his treat, he proceeded to creat a sand storm in protest. I was like really dude and then he got his treat, yes he has me trained.

Reactions: neutrino
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store