how do i quiet down my overflow ?

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Stick a piece of airline tubing in the bulkheads and leave it hanging out a bit. That will stop gurgling sound. You can always run prefilters inside too. That will help but slow flow a bit

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Its nature of the beast, I'd echo the suggestions of the poster above; by creating a bridge from the overflow to the water, but it'll still be noisy.

I just scrapped the HOB and went for an external canister instead , absolutely silent; and has better flow.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
I jusyt went from 3-fx5's easier to pull the socks out and change em then clean 3 fx5's every few weeks hahaha

I actually think it more my output making more noise now I did put some air line into both bulkheads.... Might try putting a cover ontop of it too .... I do have have sponges on the pipes that sit inside the bulkheads

How full is your overflow box the part that has the "teeth" maybe mine isn't draining into it fast enough ? My water level inside the teeth part of my overflow box is bout 1"below the t

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
A stand pipe does wonders. I prefer a durso style. Stockman works if space is tight, but it's a bit fiddly with setup due to air hose positioning.

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
this is a very good question and I wish some of the answers would help me.. I have a 80 gal. tank with a built in overflow and it is so loud I can't stand it!!
I think my whole problem is the return pump I have on it is too big, I had a 800 GPH pump on it and it was fine but did not seem to have much flow to it so I put a 1300 GPH pump on it and I think it is too much water flow to go through that one pipe because it is super loud now!!
I thought about taking the pre filter of the drain tube and put a 90 degree elbow on it to see if that would help at all.. Has anyone tried this before?

Sorry OP not trying to derail your post just something I could really use some help with myself.

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
yes the sponges are on the drains, water falls maybe 1" below the teeth yea.... I don't get any sound from the sump as the drains are submerged and the return is submerged as well, im guessing the bit of noise is coming from the 2 drains as the water doesn't totally fill the pipe when draining

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store