FilterCartridge change everr 4th day

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Hello My fellow MFKeepers,

I am running a Penguin Bio Wheel 200 HOB filter on my 30 Gallon freshwater tank. My issue is that my filter cartridge is getting clogged in 3 days :confused:, previously I went for almost 3 to 4 weeks without changing it. Any ideas why this is happening :WHOA:?
I am not over feeding and cant see any algae in the tank as well. This aquarium houses 2 bichirs, 1 fire eel (all three almost 6 inches) 2 opaline gouramis and 2 cory cats.
Any ideas how to fix it or if not whats a cheap alternative I can use instead of buying Rite Size C cartridge for the filter ?

Thanks

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; No notion as to the change in detritus buildup in the tank.

On the filter pads two things come to mind. First I often rinse and reuse factory filter pads. This can be done for a while untill they start to come a part.

Second is to look into using a replacement media for the factory pads. After my factory pads become too worn I cut away the pad material leaving the plastic frame. Next comes ingenuity. I have used polyester floss purchased in large bags for cheap. Finding a clever way to wrap it around the frame can be a challenge. The maunfacturers do not make it an easy thing to do, but it can be done.

An area fish store has filter material that comes in large sheets. It is blue on one side and white on the other but I do not know the product name. I cut it into a size that allows it to be folded over the plastic frame. The stuff is durable and can also be rinsed many times and reused.

The early power HOB filters were much better for this in that they had horozontal filter beds. It was a snap to just lay down layers of filter floss. Those early filters were prone to lose prime and fail often however.

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store