Flagtail Prochilodus feeding?

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
What do you guys feed your Flagtails?

I've had him about 3 days doesn't seem to be interested in Hikari algae wafers, cobalt spirulina flakes or pellets. He's about 4.5" great coloration activity and has no problem grazing on tank algae. Aside from the what should be expected, not going after any of the carnivorous foods either.

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
I have one similar size. It eats whatever I throw in the tank. Freeze dried blood worms, NLS 1mm pellets, and flakes.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
Mine eats anything it finds really. Nls and algae wafers. I feed veggies pretty frequently and it seems to love most plant matter. Spinach and lettuce, cucumber, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

burntrubber

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2010
Give it some time to settle in. The fact that it is grazing algae means its still interested in food. It will probably find something else to eat once the algae runs out.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
Looks like I might have to try some NLS. I've been a solid Cobalt and Hikari fan boy as far as food goes!
He also has no problem munching on the plants in the tank. Which is fine they are primarily a side food for my SD's and he took right to schooling with them so I guess he learned from example.
This is the first fish I've ever picked up that didn't accept any food after the first 24 hrs which is why I was a looking for what other Flagtail owners feed. I've wanted one for a while and just got adequate housing setup to finally grow one out for life.

I wanted to try to stay away from blanched greens as a staple the only vegetables I like to feed because of ease of prep work are cucumbers for my panaque which is like a once or twice a week treat. Will have to get some in there today or tomorrow but usually my panaque is like a hawk and devours them in minutes.

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Mine took a while to settle in and he went from 3 inches to 13 in 2 years. I feed him NLS which he eats plus zucchinni which is a lot more nutritious than cucumbers, never add another flagtail as they will fight to the death but your flagtail willl not bother any other fish in the tank. My favorite fish

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Got mine at 3" now over a foot long. He has always just been a bottom feeder. I don't recall him ever eating food in the water column. He grazed algae when small but haven't seen that activity in a long time. He used to try and suck slime off fish as well but quit. Some say to be careful with them around rays and bichirs because of that.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Mine constantly grazes and eats anything I throw in the tank but seems particularly fond of Hikari cichlid gold and the flakes that I get from my lfs.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Yea, my FT spends all day looking for algae patches. Also eats flakes. I haven't had him very long, maybe 4 months. I don't think I've ever had a cuter 1" fish :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store