Measure light temperature?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Does anyone know how you can determine the temperature rating (kelvin) of lights? Going through google doesn't show me anything except describing what it is. I assume there is a meter of some kind but only find PAR.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy

Light temp is a misleading measure because it only describes how we perceive it visually. Much more accurate is wavelength distribution, and it's much more useful, too, especially for plant growth.

But to answer your original question: it's probably easiest to check on the manufacturer's website...
K

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
If I had a clue what manufacturer these used LED were, I would do that. :confused:

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
There isn't a brand name on the LED unit or anything? Is this for a planted tank? Honestly if you don't know what the K is on an LED fixture or the brand than I would doubt that you'd be able to find out if its enough PAR for plant growing.

Maybe post a picture of the fixture, someone might recognize it?

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
They are 165w dimable Chinese reef LED'S with fans off of Ebay. Just white and blue. Looking at them on ebay if they give a temp rating they will show the whites to be adjustable from 5000-18000K. I don't think Kelvin can be adjusted via a dimmer so I call BS on that. I bought them from a local reefer that upgraded to Radion. I want to attempt to grow plants.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
And I have no doubt there is sufficient PAR. They are blinding!

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
It's probably 5k white led and with the blues on also it equals close to 18k. 18k is significantly blue, the red is most important as far as plant growing goes. Blue white will still work but not the "best"

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
It's probably 5k white led and with the blues on also it equals close to 18k. 18k is significantly blue, the red is most important as far as plant growing goes. Blue white will still work but not the "best"
I have seen some red LED's. If I add that would it help, or would that need to have an equal or close PAR value? It looks like most of the lights include only one or two reds in a fixture of this size. Maybe add a couple of 3 watt ones?

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
You don't need many. When I switched from a blue white led to an RGB my plants took off growth wise and some took on different colors.

I would try it out as is then add on something later if you are not satisfied. That way you can tell if what you add on actually makes a difference or not.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
They are 165w dimable Chinese reef LED'S with fans off of Ebay. Just white and blue. Looking at them on ebay if they give a temp rating they will show the whites to be adjustable from 5000-18000K. I don't think Kelvin can be adjusted via a dimmer so I call BS on that. I bought them from a local reefer that upgraded to Radion. I want to attempt to grow plants.

Well a dimer adjusts PAR. How many whites and how many blues are on this? Reef lighting tends to cause algae in planted tanks since the blues are not that great for plant growth and encourage more algae.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store