Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Just fill the baskets with Poret foam.

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
After learning about how hard water can mineralize over time and clog the pores of biomax, rendering it ineffective, im switching to pot scrubs for bio media in my canisters.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
And don't forget about how that mineralization comes loose and can ruin the impeller on a filter where the pump is on the bottom, where it shouldn't be. (FX)

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Hagen reccomends replacing biomax every 6 months or so if I recall correctly. The pores are tiny and will clog with detritus and or mineralize. From what people have said on here its impossible to bleach or recharge.

I'm a long term user of biomax. I have some in filters thats 3 years old. I have no idea how effective it is at this point even with regular rinsing. Hopefully its marginally better than a handful of gravel. Lol

After paying $17 for 500g of biomax and $1 for 6 pot scrubs at the dollar store I've decided to make the switch. If biomax retained its effectiveness indefinitely I'd still be a fan.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

theskibag

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2011
Galway, Ireland
Wow this is all news to me. I spent a lot on Biomax because it's not available here in Ireland. Balls.

Pot scrubs the best way to go then? The bacteria has no problem living on them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store