Hobby or something else?

903Herp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2014
North east texas
Hello everyone 903Herp here with a bit of a debacle. When i was a kid I was surrounded by animals. I had turtles, ferrets,birds,guinea pigs,hedgehogs, porcupines, dogs, cats even a pet wolf(well a really high content wolf hybrid) and my father also had aquariums. I was taught from a young age to love and respect animals that we get blessed to spend our lives with and encounter. This love and respect for animals has turned me into the type of person I am today. I have 3 dogs, 0.1 Brazilian rainbow boa, 0.1 ball python and my fish tank. I try to explain it to my wife that animals are my passion and a hobby of mine that I can not simply give up. She argues that it is not a hobby because all I do is clean the tanks, feed them, and do maintenance on equipment. I have tried to explain to her that I love the feeling that I get by watching a animal that I have grow and prosper in the home I have provided. Do any of your spouses feel this way or disapprove of your hobby? If so how do you handle it or explain it? Hopefully this thread can turn into a bit of comfort and advice to new people into the hobby that may be experiencing the same issue.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I can understand that, my dad feels the same way. He always says that I won't have much of a life if I don't stop putting so much time towards my tanks. I do have 10 tanks and it's a lot of work but to me it's worth it and very rewarding. I don't do much in my free time other than keep fish and care for them, go fishing, and scuba dive (primarily to watch fish) so you can see that to a person like me that it's really not a pain to devote a lot of time towards my tanks. I'm one of the few people on this forum that actually enjoys doing water changes :). However I think that my dad respects my hobby at the same time because he really enjoys the DIY stuff I make and is going to help me set up plumbing, wiring, etc on the large basement Fishroom I'm putting in as a sort of Christmas present.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Well I think sometimes people make a distinction because it involves something that is alive, instead of inanimate. I also grew up with lots of animals and people would always say my family (and still do say - even now that I'm married with my own smaller set of animals) were "animal crazy" in kind of a derogatory way. I always thought it was funny , because people don't say that so much if, say, you golf all the time. I feel the attitude is a little different, but maybe that is because animals require upkeep.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
My wife admits that she doesn't really get it, but she says that as long as it makes me happy (and I don't spend all the money) she doesn't care if I do it or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crenicichla444

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2013
Michigan
My parents are supportive but if it gets in the way of school then nah... Like if one of my Rays died or I did bad on a test in Chem AP idk what I'd chose, but for my parents it's an easy choice. They pay for water and electricity the rest is up to me. Got a part time job at a fish store to help finance it. Friends think I'm funny and always think I'm joking about fish even though I'm completely serious. Lol I'd say you do you but don't let the hobby get in the way of the more important things in life.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
My wife admits that she doesn't really get it, but she says that as long as it makes me happy (and I don't spend all the money) she doesn't care if I do it or not.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1:)

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; If you do not make money keeping animals then it is a hobby. If you spend extra money and free time not needed for important aspects of life, then it can be a rewarding hobby.

If you depend on other people's money or in some way take time away that should be used with/for others or getting on with your life, then it could be a negative at some level. Too much is too much and reasonable is about right.

This observation is free and perhaps worth nothing as well.

Good luck

Jgilbert529

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2014
Maine
My wife thinks big fish are gross but supports me anyway. I'm lucky our house is big enough that the 5 tanks don't seem too weird. One of course is our 8 year old sons :) I try to include the kids if I do upkeep when everyone's awake, my 2 year old loves flushing the old water down the toilet lol

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store