48" light on 72" tank?

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
Anyone do this? Look ok?

I was was looking at getting the Finnex Monster ray and the ray 2...everything I have seen makes fish look fantastic under the monster ray (but I want the white light to balance it out too). Problem is I really don't want to pay for four 36" fixtures (2 monsters and 2 ray2)
I was wondering if I hung the 48" versions of both in my canopy, raised a couple inches off of the tank, if I would get full coverage. I really don't want dark corners in the top half of the tank. Finnex advertises 120 degree light dispersion, don't know if that would help.

I would love to see pics if anyone is using lights that are to dang short

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I had a 32" light on a 48" tank. Looked kinda cool if thats the look your going for. Had one end lighted and the other not. Or the light right in the middle...no pics for you though ;)

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
Here is my 72" 125g tank with a 48" standard light.

It's hard to tell through pictures, but the cheapo light does a good job.

I think you'll be fine if you're not OCD about light coverage and are not growing plants. I don't think the corners are really "dark".

Hope the pic helps.

image.jpg

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I only use 48" or less on all my tanks not growing plants. It leaves a dim area at one or both ends. Most fish don't like bright light so it gives them dimmer areas to swim into. I have a 24" light over my poly's and a single 10W LED floodlight over a 150 with an arowana and catfish.

Sac39051

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento, Ca
My problem is I am kind of OCD about the coverage:) Yours looks good though, I like ur wood lol.

I would really like to have full coverage, just really don't want to spend more than 3-400 bucks on lighting. are there alternatives to the finnex monster ray that make colors pop just as good?

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Generally speaking you get what you pay for. That's not to say you can't have a nice light system for less just realize that some things will be compromised. This is my understanding as far as aquarium lighting goes. The major difference between lighting systems is their ability to produce light and how many watts they consume while producing said light. The more expensive the set up the higher the amount of light produced which increases it's ability to light your aquarium evenly and in the case of plants helps make sure the appropriate light spectrums penetrate the water far enough at a high enough concentration to be as beneficial as possible for the plant as long as the appropriate light is used.

It can get pretty confusing. There's Lumen which is loosely the measure of the amount of light emitted per second by a source. So the higher the Lumen rating a bulb has the more light it produces. Then there's luminous efficacy which is loosely how much light is produced in relation to how much energy is expended producing said light. Then finally there's K(Kelvin) which is a measurement used to describe a specific hue of a light source.

Unfortunately when it comes to aquarium lighting many times the Lumens of a bulb is left out of the description. You kind of just have to know that generally LED's and T5's produce more light then T8-T12 Fluorescents and do it more efficiently by producing more light per watt. For instance lets say you use a 15 watt T5 Fluorescent to light your tank for someone else to light the same sized tank just as efficiently with a T8 they would need to double the wattage of the light. Again the amount of light produced basically effects how far the light will penetrate the tank and to what degree. I'm sure you've noticed if you've ever taken pics that pics at the bottom of the tank are way less lit then a pic taken at the surface. The more light produced by a bulb the more light will reach the bottom and can give your tank a more evenly distributed look light wise. It's also beneficial for plants as the more light reaches the bottom the fuller the spectrum that reaches the plant.

Now that's not to say you can't get a nice color popping look using a cheaper system just realize the colors will only pop the closer the fish is to the light source with a cheap light system. So you can get a decent look by using 2-36 inch Aqueon Deluxe Single Strip Lights($50-$55 each) and swapping out the standard bulb they come with for 2-10,000K($12 each) replacement bulbs. The light will be more white blue so the fish should look more natural instead of the yellow and green tinge the standard bulbs can give off. I kind of fumbled over myself with that description trying to be concise which is not my strong suit but I hope it helped a little.

Here's a example of 10,000K T8 lighting on one of my tanks. You can see how well lit the parts of the video are when the fish are higher in the water and how it gets dark and bluish it gets the closer I vid to the bottom. Better lighting like T5 or LED's etc. would have made my the vid of the lower sections look better.
[video=youtube;3W1w5FeTg50]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W1w5FeTg50&list=UUnW1FQH99_jIp037hv_mYKA[/video]

philducati

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2014
FV
here is ray2 48" in my kid room, it was bright than marineland double led like 25-30% more

DSC00050.JPG

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
On my 200 gallon gar tank I had 4 48" t8 bulbs and they grew plants great. I paid 80$ for the system

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store