Solution for silencing overflor!

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
I've been meaning to post this for a while now because it works so well and want to share it!

I have a 180 gal tank and water a sump, and like a lot of people I did not want to drill it. So I got a CPR over flow. I think it was the CS150 it has a single 1.5" drain and was rated a little too high which can actually cause problems, noise. Flow rate of coarse was just fine it could handle anything my Iwaki 55 could put out. But I struggled to get it quite down. I used a dursao type setup and got it pretty dialed in but not enough for a living room tank.

I had seen a lot of the Herbie/ beananiamle full siphon setups but still did not want to drill the tank. So I bought the CS102 has two 1" drains. Now the rating for this overflow is closer to my pump output which will make it easier to keep quite because there will be less air mixing with the water. For a typical setup though the flow rate for this overflow paired with my pump is too close for my personal safety factor.

I put a valve on one of the drains and have no stand pipe on it. The other pipe is a straight shot with a durso type stand pipe. So I used the full siphon idea here. With the valve full open it devolves full siphon but out runs the flow and you get the flushing sound. So I restrict the valve a small amounts at a time until the overflow box fills with water and trickles down the second stand pipe. So now I get the silence of the Herbie style overflow without drilling.

The full siphon can handle almost the full volume of the pump meaning the overflow box can flow faster then the rating given increasing my softer factor. There still is a restriction of the front skimmer into the box so you can only increase the flow by so much.

Hope this helps others out there wanting a silent tank without having to drill!

WIN_20141201_184800.JPG

WIN_20141201_184808.JPG

WIN_20141201_184808.JPG

WIN_20141201_184800.JPG

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I know your post is a few weeks old, but this is a bit of a dangerous game, especially on a HOB overflow. How many tubes are carrying water over the back of the tank?

Herbie overflows have two drains like you have in this setup, however only one of the drains will see water. The wet pipe will have a full siphon, the second pipe should be bone dry, not even a trickle. The second pipe needs to be able to handle the full flow of the first one in case of emergency, not just most of it.

epond83

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
Duvall, WA
It's a CPR over flow so it is a box style overflow. The half that is outside the tank has two 1" lines going to the sump.

One line is a full siphon and the other line has a small trickle. It is almost impossible to get the one line to have a full siphon balanced with the pump. So you have two options.

1 have it out run the pump and cause a flushing sound, safer but noisy and defeats the purpose here.

2 have it just under the output of the pump so the second line has just a trickle going through it that makes almost no noise.

If the first line plugs or something weird then the second line will take over and developed a full siphon and outrun the pump causing a flushing sound but this the emergency situation.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Using a gate valve rather than a ball valve will help to balance out the flow. It is possible to match the return with the overflow, it just isn't easy. Before you say it isn't, I've done it before, with a ball valve none the less. It also isn't something you can set and forget, herbie style overflows do require adjusting.

If you get it balanced you wont need to go with either of the above options. And I'm well aware of how a herbie is supposed to work. You are not running a herbie, with a herbie the backup line should be dry for emergencies. You obviously know about overflows, just so long as you know you are playing a dangerous game I'll let it be.

tommyfc3s

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2013
New Jersey
if you're trying to keep it from slurping adding a pipe cut at an angle that leads into the hose going down to the sump will make it much more quiet

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store