Cold Problems

Me_Rock

Feeder Fish
Dec 2, 2014
Cheney, WA
Hi all,

This winter has been hard on my aquarium. It currently houses two 5-6" feeder goldfish, and one 5" common plecostomus. It's a 30 gallon tank with a 15 gallon planted sump. The room in my house where the fish are kept has been around 55 degrees F for a couple of weeks, as the outside temperatures haven't been above freezing in a while. The room can't simply be made warmer, as there is no heater in there.

A few weeks ago, I put a heater in the aquarium on the lowest setting. My tank was so cold that it stayed on constantly and warmed things up too quickly for my juvenile bristlenose plecostomus, who died from what I assume was shock. I removed the heater after this happened. Fast forward to today, and I see my big, four year old Common on his back (still breathing). Needless to say, he's probably a goner. The tank temperature is around 53 degrees F. I understand that plecostomus catfish are warmwater fish, but this particular one has gone through three winters like this previously without an issue.

The goldfish still seem healthy and active. Is there anything I can do for my plecostomus? Is he likely to snap out of his upside down nap if I warm the tank up again? In the event that my plecostomus dies, what other fish that are more tolerant of cold water can replace his job of being a janitor?

Thanks!

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Well you are right they are warmer temp fish, but if they survived three winters it might have done some kind of damage to them. But if my memory serves me right, a degree a hour is safe and wont induce any kind of shock. So I would just bring the temp up very slowly.

I believe a heaters lowest temp is 72 so thats why it was always on as the water temp was 55 degrees. Heaters have two power settings, full blast or off. Its for efficiency and to keep a stable temp so putting it at the lowest setting doesnt mean it will heat slower. But you could just bring the temp up throughout the day with water changes with warmer water till you can safely put a heater in which will keep the water temp 72 or above. Or get a space heater lol

Me_Rock

Feeder Fish
Dec 2, 2014
Cheney, WA
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to test my heater in a 5 gallon bucket overnight to see where it stabilizes at the lowest setting. If it's within goldfish range, I'll gradually bring the tank temperature up with water changes and throw the heater in the sump.

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
You could also just stagger the heaters on time until it gets to its lowest stable temp after you test it.

Run it for 1 hr unplug it wait an hour run it again and so on and so forth. If your heater isn't huge should raise slowly.

Ideally when adjusting temp I usually do .5*F per 12 hour period about 1-2* per day I think is the comfort rate for change. Your talking about an almost 20* change that would take a while to do!

If you just want to raise your tank temp a little bit get one of those fish bowl heaters about 15 watts with no temp dial. As long as your ambient temp stays consistent your tank will stay somewhat warmer.

vr6fan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2010
Waukesha, WI
You have a 4 year old common pleco that's only 5 inches?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Take the fish out and put them into a 5 gallon bucket or two with an air-stone. Then drip them as you heat the aquarium

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: twcp

Me_Rock

Feeder Fish
Dec 2, 2014
Cheney, WA
Left overnight at the lowest setting, the bucket warmed up to 70 degrees and stayed there. That sounds about like the sweet spot for goldfish, and a plecostomus. Sadly, my pleco didn't live through the night. I'm currently warming up the tank (slowly) with the heater by plugging it in and unplugging it. 2-3* per day should be safe, right?

A 200 watt heater is a tad bit inappropriate for my setup, but will be good for the 90 gallon tank I'll be moving in to in a few weeks. Once that's set up, I'll get a pair of plecos to resume janitorial duties.

Me_Rock

Feeder Fish
Dec 2, 2014
Cheney, WA
Also, I've noticed that my goldfish slow down a bit with the colder temperatures. Can that be attributed to their metabolisms preparing for hibernation? I've seen goldfish ponds with thick ice over them in the winter, only to have the fish miraculously come back to life in the springtime. Hardy fishes, they are.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In winter, I keep my pond goldfish in 500 gal pool in an unheated basement, where temps hover in the high 40s to low 50s.
I keep plecos in an unheated tank upstairs where temps hover in the mid 60s.
Neither goldfish or plecos grow during this time, but make up for it in summer.
I would think a period of non growth would be good in your circumstance, because a 30 gal (even with the added sump) is really too small for the size fish you have.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
You can always put the heater on a timer until the temperature rises. That way you could have it on/off in 30 minute cycles and it might be more of a gradual shift. Just an idea.

How quickly did your temp rise? Maybe that stressed/killed the pleco, but lying motionless is also what they do in low temps before it kills them. I did a fish survey for a state park by me 5 years ago after a cold snap. The dead plecos were literally crunching under my dive boots. And I was wading through dead tilapia...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store