Ever got distracted or fell asleep during a WC?

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
I feel so stupid!:screwy: I was tired one night but knew I needed to do a quick WC so I hooked everything up and drained the tank. But when was filling I decided to go and sit down, oh was that a bad idea! Fell asleep for 20-30 minutes and woke up to loud splashing on the tile floor! Good thing I had everything hooked up to reliable surge protector or else I wouldn't be here today. I run to shut the water off and in the mist of it I slip from the soaked floor and break the corner of my table with my elbow. I get up soaked and finally shut the water off and then glance at the damage. At the tank area there was about an inch to inch and half of water and that led to almost 3/4 of the house! Good thing I don't got carpet because it would of been ruined. All in all took me about 2-3 hours to clean with just a bunch of old rags and a 5g bucket. This btw happened 12am so I didn't end up going to sleep till almost 5 and had to work a double that day... Anybody else have horror stories when doing water changes?

noside

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2014
NJ
I've gone to work for 9hrs leaving my RODI pumping into my basement. Forgot to shut off one of my settling tanks before I installed float valve.

Luckily RODI is absolutely clean so no residue or smell and it only pumps about 10gph, I also have a floor drain about 20 feet from my tanks so that handles the bulk of it.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Yep... One day last summer I was doing my WC and my 15 year old son came running in the house and said 3 black guys just jumped him and his friend and stole their bikes.. I grabbed my gun and took off looking for them for about 35 40 minutes and never even thought about the water still running!!! Maybe the most stupid thing I have ever done in my life... Not only was I going to kill 3 people over a $300 bike but I did about $2500 worth of damage to my home over a $300 bike!!!

THANK GOD I never found the guys because I would be spending the rest of my life in prison over a stupid bike and someone messing with my child!!!!

00kevin

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2011
NJ
Went to sleep for the night with the hose running to my ray tank in my living room. Didn't have work and slept in, lounging around. Finally emerged from bed about 10am to discover the hose had been running for about 9 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
After 45 years of doing this, I can't count the number of times. As recently as 2 weeks ago.

viejafish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2013
Northeast
I had a few overfilling accidents in the past until I habitually set up a timer to beep me. I use the timer to first measure how much water level will rise in 5 min, and then project how much more time it takes to fill to the top so as to set the timer to beep me. I've never had overfilling accident since then.

It's easy to get destracted in WC from phone call and other interuptions. The bigger the WC, the greater the vulnerability of WC accidents because it takes a long time to drain and fill a big tank.

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Several times. I simplified my water changes cause I get distracted easily.
My lady called me out on it at a fish store by pointing out they have a water leak alarm which I cause almost every week, she got a couple of laughs at my expense.

Now the only thing I can overfill is the barrels that hold my water to age, and they're 3 feet from a floor drain. They hold ~5 gallons more than I need for a 50% water change, so the pump sucks air before I flood anything.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Worst that's happened to me is I forget to turn on a sponge filter during a water change. I'm stuck in the past and I still empty and fill all 10 of my tanks with a 5G bucket :). It's a pain in the *** but there's no risk of tanks overflowing, plus none of my faucets adapt to a python, and it's a good biceps workout :).

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Worst that's happened to me is I forget to turn on a sponge filter during a water change. I'm stuck in the past and I still empty and fill all 10 of my tanks with a 5G bucket :). It's a pain in the *** but there's no risk of tanks overflowing, plus none of my faucets adapt to a python, and it's a good biceps workout :).
You can buy an adaptor for a garden hose for filling it's way way easier on the back.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
This is also my situation lol. I have a python, just can't find a suitable adapter for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store