Pipe clamps in sump

Devzev

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2014
nyc/nj
Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. Working on my first sump. I bought it on Craigslist. But I have to redo the plumbing.
Its a 150 gallon with 5 chambers

Im thinking on putting mechanical foam and sponges in 1 and 2 then pondmatrix and bioballs in 3 then pothos growing in 5. What should i put in the other chamber? What would u change?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1417538998.370734.jpg

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I've seen plenty of rusty hose clamps and what in tanks. Should not be an issue.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I've used stainless steel hardware for years without issue. These are the types of applications it was meant for.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I'm another guy with lots of worm gear clamps either submersed or always getting splashed.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
As a former parts guy and salesman I can tell you to spend the coin on "marine grade" hose clamps designed for boating use.

9/10 clamps at the parts store or home improvement store have galvanized screws or brass screws. Few manufacturers use stainless steel screws.

Ive used stainless in aquariums since ive started with fish keeping. Most commonly available stainless is 304 stainless, its basically corrosion resistant not rust proof. It just basically rusts reaaaally reallly slow. It leaches pollutants at a very slow rate nothing to be concerned about, at least I'm not.

If you have the pick of the litter 316 stainless, particularly low carbon 316 is a choice metal. Surgical grade. I work in a food plant now, everything is low carbon 316, we spray the equipment daily with caustic chlorinated cleaners, phosphoric acid, etc. Stuff is 35-40 years old. No signs of corrosion. Aside from the occasional scratch or gouge the steel looks brand new

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store