I fiberglassed for the first time ... Questions

marinerules

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 15, 2013
paragould arkansas
I had some clear 1618 epoxy from polygem ( it's for sealing stuff for aquarium use ect )

I bought some bondo fiberglass cloth at lowes .

I had a 2x6 that I just wanted to practice on I painted a spot then laid down a piece of 6x6 cloth and let it soak up. Then painted another dab on top of that trip and laid down another 6x6 piece

I did this 6 times with 6 stripes

It's hard now ( been 24 hours ). But if I take scissors I can scrap into the clothes and it comes out in shavings.

Maybe it's cause its a little cold in my house an it's not curing as fast

I will probably get the max acr epoxy off of eBay if I want to do a tank as it's been done here and people recommend it

Easier to work with than I thought it would be. Also the resin goes farther then I thought it would as well

Questions are
I used bondo fiberglass from lowes.
Is this ok. Or is there a better place and density ect of cloth I need ?

I've also had people tell me they use fiberglass matte

Which is better

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
It usually takes about a week for epoxy to fully cure. In 24 hours it may only be 80% cured.

Need to keep epoxy warmer than 65F degrees also, else you may get some amine blushing when curing. May want to cover curing epoxy with something like plastic so it doesn't get contaminated with dust.

Bondo Fiberglass Cloth from Lowes is OK for doing corners. I think it's 6 oz cloth, which is good for inside corners or going around bends. It's just more expensive per foot and limited in size. For flat surfaces, you may want to use a heavier cloth though. If you need bigger pieces and need more cloth, you should buy it in bulk somewhere. All kinds of good deals on the internet, like ebay.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store