how do ya'll clean your filter socks ?

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
how is everyone cleaning there filter socks ? ive heard some use their washing machine and some just rinse under the tap ..... I wouldn't mind using the washing machine simple and easy but im worried about soap residue being in the lines or in the washer itself somewere.... thought of doing a empty rinse cycle then toss in the socks for heavy/reg cycle and warm or hot water.... I just don't wanna wait till I have say like 10-15 or even 20 socks stink up the laundry room or my house lol btw there 25micron nylon/polyester socks whether it matters or not ?

any tips would be great, thanks Rob

bacon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
The gym
I use a little bit of bleach and the extra rinse cycle. Never had any issue in my reef tank. I do it with other filter pads as well.

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
Soak them in hydrogen peroxide overnight. Then machine wash them on the extra rinse cycle.

I read an article saying that Hydro peroxide cleans the sock filters better than bleach. Under a microscope, you can see that hydro peroxide breaks down more algae and waste, while bleach leaves more waste on the sock but bleaches it so you think it's cleaner, but it's not. Plus, trace amounts of the bleach will still be on the sock after you rinse them. But with H2O2, it will harmlessly break down into hydrogen and water.

Here's the article I found: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1943735

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
Another advantage of using hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach is that a lot of times with bleach, you have to rinse them in water filled with conditioner to get rid of the bleach. But with hydro peroxide, you just air dry them, no need to soak in water with dechlorinator.

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
Another advantage of using hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach is that a lot of times with bleach, you have to rinse them in water filled with conditioner to get rid of the bleach. But with hydro peroxide, you just air dry them, no need to soak in water with dechlorinator.
thats super cool! Lol been using my hose with a nozzle LOL

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Same here,a few good blasts with the garden hose gets the job done for me.I might try the peroxide soak though.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Laundry mat inside out! Word!

Or pressure washer inside it. Bright white in minutes.

Depends on the day

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Just throw them in the washing machine. I do 2 times through longest wash cycle and extra rinse

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store