Black Ghost Knifefish not eating

jscherbert

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2014
United States
I've had my ghost since about March when it was really tiny. I feed it meal worms by hand once a day, but as of the last two days it hasn't shown any interest. It's in a 50 gallon (4' long by 1' deep not sure on the height). I do water changes weekly with a gravel siphon, change filters bi-weekly, use SeaChem Prime, and I rinse my hand/arm off every time I go to feed it. Is it possible that it just isn't hungry because it ate about 8-9 meal worms two days ago?

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
That is a poor diet - My guess is that chitin has built up and may now be blocking his intestines or/and stomach, making the fish think he's full, when he's not.
Start offering him appropriate foods right away, and hopefully the damage isn't done.

jscherbert

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2014
United States
I have frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms that I use for my dwarf frog (kept in a 10 gallon). Would these be a better diet? I also have a container of live red worms. Thanks for the reply; I was unaware that these weren't good for it.

jscherbert

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2014
United States
I'll switch off between brine shrimp and blood worms then. as well as keep you posted on its health and status. Currently hiding out in one of its two areas, and it seems to be doing fine. I dropped part of a cube of blood worms in that area.

jscherbert

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2014
United States
I think so. He keeps his head sticking partial out most of the time, and he kept going in the area where they were and popped his head out again in a biting motion. I might try again in the early morning like 2-3 am before I go to bed.

m8r8j

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2008
Ipswich, MA
when you say change filters what do you mean? you know the filters need to grow and establish a large bacteria colony right? by changing it you wipe the bacteria out. i have 4 filters on my main take and alternate cleanings so i dont get rid of too much bacteria at once.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Durrells

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2012
Beavercreek, OH
Ratings don't matter much in this instance. What m8 is getting at is that a ton of beneficial bacteria grow in those filter pads. at most I would be changing out only one of those filters every few weeks, letting new bacteria grow on the new filter while there is still a stable colony on the other filter pad. By any chance, do you get a cloudy tank every time you do maintenance? That would be a pretty good indication that you are wiping out your bacteria colony each time and forcing them into a bacteria bloom (which isn't healthy at all)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store