Any breeding ideas for a 55 or 75 gallon?

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
So I was thinking... what type of fish should I breed? I have a 55 and a 75 gallon and want to breed some kind of cichlid but at the same time make a profit. i can onl use one of the tanks though. My lfs wouldnt mind buying fish from me unless they don't already have many of them. I have a lot of experience cichlid-wise but have never bred them. I was thinking convicts but my lfs often gets overstocked with them. I'm not too picky with price but under $50 for a pair and want to make up for the money I spent on the fish by selling the juvies. I own(ed) and successfully kept a flowerhorn, oscars, dovii, red devils, GT, convicts, firemouths, and some exotic fish such as pbass, arowana, and gar but wouldn't mind owning another (rather have cichlids). Any ideas or tutorials? Thanks.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
It would have to be something rare or hard to find. Most cichlid's are easily bred so LFS don't have allot of interest in them. Don't forget you have to have space to raise them for a 8-12 months so they are sizable enough for the LFS to sell them. Its really hard to make money off fish given all the money you have to put into them. Just think If the parent don't cost money why would the fry so you have to put more than $50 up front. I think most people in the hobby have had this thought at one time or another.

If you still want to give a shot I would go with fancy pleco's they are demanding a high price these days. You will have to spend more than $50 your self to get a pair.

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
ok, and by the way I have a 30 gal to raise fry in as well. plecos sound great and fun but I'd like to here the opinions of others.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
ok, and by the way I have a 30 gal to raise fry in as well. plecos sound great and fun but I'd like to here the opinions of others.
Discus. Then again more than $50

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
sadly my lfs owns a ton of discus and breeds them themselves in the back. they don't breed anything else on purpose so no discus

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
sadly my lfs owns a ton of discus and breeds them themselves in the back. they don't breed anything else on purpose so no discus
Severum? Really hard with the minimal tank room. I would say festae but they need a larger tank

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Don't overlook the basics. Without bread and butter, there would be no economy. I have a rare plant business - so the logistics are the same.

Who is your target audience ? What do they want?

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
Well I was thinking maybe flowerhorn? Would that be fine or would they be too big? I'm probably using the 75 anyway

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Well I was thinking maybe flowerhorn? Would that be fine or would they be too big? I'm probably using the 75 anyway
Dimensions? Filtration? That's what it will boil down to then maybe you could do some FH

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Flowerhorn could be cool, or something rarer like grammodes. Sad reality is that after a few spawns, the market will get saturated and the value will go right down

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store