Input Requested: PA school choices

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
I know a fish forum isn't exactly the ideal place to ask for input on this, but I have gotten some great feedback on other things so I thought I would give it a try. At a minimum it gives me a chance to write out my thoughts, which is always helpful.

So, I have been working toward gaining acceptance to Physician Assistant's (PA) school. Thankfully I have been accepted to two programs, but just this week I have been offered an interview at another school this Friday (December 5th). I WILL BE ATTENDING THIS INTERVIEW, but I am looking to start weighing the options assuming I am accepted into the program.

I have already been accepted into my original first choice (I am not naming the school to keep that from biasing people). It is a school that is close to my parents, which would be nice to have their support during school. My wife and I would live with them, and yes my wife is very on board with that idea. Living with them would decrease our responsibilities in regards to house upkeep, cooking, cleaning, etc. Obviously we would help out, but our responsibilities would still be less. Also, this school is a very established, strong program, but tuition for the 26 months will total about $82,000. Also, I would not start until next fall, which means I wait for approximately 9 months before starting classes.

Option 2 - the school that I am interviewing at Friday.
This is a much newer program, as their first class started just last year. So, I would be a part of the second cohort. I would expect some bumps and issues with their "inexperience." Although it is not an established program it is associated with an established, quality medical school, so I am not overly worried that the quality of my education would suffer.

Now for the major positives this school offers. This school would start January '15, so just over a month from now, and because it is only a 2 year program it finishes a full year ahead of the other school. Also, the tuition is only about $42,000 total. While finances will not make my decision, it definitely plays a part - especially when you consider that I would have an extra year of salary (which is significant given that my expected salary would be ~$90K upon graduating).

Now for the negatives of this option. It is in Memphis, TN, which has historically been one of the top 5 most dangerous cities in the country. This is not a major concern for me, because having gone to undergrad near Chicago, IL I am well aware that every large city has its bad areas to avoid. But, my wife struggles being home alone at night even in our very safe, suburban home where literally nothing happens. When I am not home she does not sleep well, utilizing her overly active imagination. (As far as being safe, we have a german shepherd, with another german shepherd puppy on the way. My wife also has a firearm that she is currently learning how to use, which eventually will be available for her personal defense once she shows that she is capable of using it effectively - I don't want her to freeze and have the weapon used on her.) Knowing that it is likely that I will be gone for 6 weeks at a time for clinical rotations during my second year, her fear is something that worries me. Also, my wife would have no friends or family to stay with or hang out with when I am studying or gone - I do understand that we would make friends, but still worth mentioning. Lastly, we would not have the same level of support from any family since none live in or around Memphis.

So, assuming I am accepted into the Memphis program what would you do? Obviously there are a lot of questions that I will be asking on Friday, and in the interviewing process my answer may become very apparent. But, I want to start thinking through my options as I will not have long to accept or decline any potential offer.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I think cost is the biggest factor unless you are able to pay upfront. If you are not paying upfront then figure you will be paying back approximately 3x what you borrowed at todays interest rates. If interest rates keep going up it will be more. Between my wife and I we have 4 degrees, we both have our masters degrees. Our total loans are about 80,000. We pay approximately $1,200 a month for 15 years. My house will be paid off before my loans are because of the way student loan lenders calculate interest. My house cost double what my loans are. Just something to think about.

I see you quoted $90k for you salary. That is the national average for a PA that isn't what you will be making right out of school. I did research on my degree and I expected to make 75k right out of school because that's what i saw jobs listed for on the job boards. It took my 7 years before I hit that salary. I also planned on paying off my loans in 4 years. But kids came along Kids are expensive so loan payments are back to making minimum payments. I don't know what your plans are for kids but its something to think about. If you buy house hose expenditures come. Life gets expensive as you age so again I would give serious consideration about the cost of school.

Smart thing moving in with your parents but I would go with the lower cost school especially since it is associated with a good medical school. If you have to pay for livign expenses while at school at least your paying as you go and not racking up loans.

SumoNinja

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2007
I'm Where I'm At
my wife had a coworker who went to Yale because it was so prestigious

my wife got her masters at cal state san Bernardino

they are in the same position/pay. so yea, for most careers it doesn't really matter where you attend so the cheapest one is probably the right thing to consider.

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
Rivers2K - thanks so much for your input. I was actually in the process of replying when the site went down a few days ago...grr

The national average for PAs is actually just over $100K, but I actually have a likely job available to me upon graduation. My father, an MD, is a co-owner in a private practice and has made multiple comments about definitely having an opening. His practice is expanding quite rapidly, and while it may include nepotism I would have a job. Assuming I took it, the job would pay just around $90K today. And most PA's make pretty close to their full salary right out of school - similar to physicians (after residency) and pharmacists.

After interviewing last Friday at the Memphis program (less expensive), I was very impressed. The set up is much more similar to actual medical school than most PA programs, and I like that. I'm not trying to be a doctor, but I do feel that the more similar my training can be to med school the better I'll be able to fill a role that historically was reserved for physicians.

Also the money is definitely more of a factor than I was originally thinking. Thankfully, I've never had to deal with loans and financial aid before, but it's something I've given a lot more thought to since doing more research.

I will mention that I overestimated the tuition costs at option #1 because it is likely I would receive in-state tuition. So it would only be $62,000. Then when you factor in decreased living costs by living with my parents, the difference in tuition+living costs between the two schools is negligible - but probably still in Memphis' favor. But that extra year of salary throws any financial arguments out the window. From a purely financial standpoint, Memphis is the clear winner. Not to mention one of my main reasons for choosing PA school over med school. I can start working with patients much quicker, and if Memphis makes it even quicker without lowering the education standards what is the downside?

So, while I do not know yet if I have been accepted (that should happen tomorrow), I am pretty confident. There were 9 of us interviewing for 4 spots, and from talking with some of the others I felt I had an edge and a few intangibles.

Either way, I am in an excellent position and extremely thankful since I know so many who never even get one acceptance letter.

Thank you again for your input

wrslrcichlid

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2011
Battle Creek, MI
Also thank you to SumoNinja. I definitely agree that the school you attend doesn't usually matter (in fact almost never). This is especially true for PAs as employers only really care if you are certified and have good letters of recommendation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store