FIRST TIME EGGS

fishy5

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2014
United State
I have been trying to breed my 2 flowerhorn. The other day the laid eggs for the 3rd time and I expected them to be infrtile like the 2 times before. I put the eggs in one of my fry tanks while I did a water change on the other. Then I moved them into the other fry tank. At this point I thought all eggs were infertile. I put a little paraguard in with the eggs just in case. This morning 1/5 of the eggs (around 25) had tails coming out and were moving. I hadnt taken any of the fungus covered eggs out (which was most of them). The ones with tail were scattered in the middle of fungus colonies. I sucked up the fertilized eggs with a very large pipette/sucker and moved them to the side of the dish so they wouldnt be in the middle of all the fungus. This afternoon I recieved my methylene blue int he mail. I put the correct dose in the tank (10 gallon tank) and stirred the water and removed sponge and moving bed filter. While I was stirring lots of the wigglers were scattered among the tank. The are spread out in the tank right now. What should I do now? When do I do a water change on the tank? How do I stop the fry from getting sucked out? how long do I leave the methylene blue in the water for? Any other advise would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Though I usually leave eggs and fry with the parents, I usually keep an air stone close to the group of wrigglers to mimic the fanning of eggs and fry the parents would do, if the fry must be removed. I change 10% of the water on the fry tanks every day, using a dechlorinater on make up water.
As soon as I see wrigglers I start a brine shrimp (artemia) culture, so there is food for fry when they start eating, (they don't et in the wriggler stage) which is the moment they become free swimming.

at the free swimming stage they must immediately get food,

it is usually best to feed multiple times per day.
If left with parents, this is not so critical, because fry can supplement by eating off the parents slim coat, if there is lots of algae in the tank, this also provides constant nutrition.

when fry get a little larger I start pureeing normal pellets, and thawed peas in tank water, and injecting it into the fry school with a turkey baster or pipette

in the pic below, you can see fry eating off the male parent slime coat

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
I don't breed or plan to for the foreseeable future, but that was informative.

The inclusion of pictures makes all the difference in a lot of posts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store