fishy stinky water

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
what do you guys use to filter the water of smells ? I find my tank stinks after feeding even will smell for hours afterwards.... I have carbon but seems it wears out fast

crxlsturbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2013
Cental Coast,Ca
For one I try not to overfeed them. I used to get that stinky smell in my 55 from feed 6 2"-4" filament barbs, geo red head tapajo, geo red hump, geo alfitron and a 4" electric blue acara. The barbs would eat everything I throw in there. So I had to get rid of the barbs in order to stop the over feeding. Like you I even ran carbon/ammonia Remover and still would get the smell. Now since they're gone. No more over feeding and smell.

Sent from my XT1096 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Smells are somewhat personal as each person has particular sensitivities that also change during their life. However, new smells from aquariums can sometimes be caused by a new diet, something in the water (dead fish, algae growth, filters needing cleaning, etc.)

If you change the food and the smell is gone, it was that particular food. If not, it's likely something in the water reacting to the food or perhaps even ammonia. Do other people notice the smell also?

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
New wood causes a smell, too. Until it quits leaching into the water, and it all sinks, it makes the water smell a little more than normal.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
well same food ive used for the last couple years, only thing ive really changed is went from canisters to a new sump setup - old seeded media was added

well woke up and doesn't seem to be to stinky now, so maybe it was the food reacting to water chemistry for those few hours then ? (very messy eaters)

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
food, random water chemistry changes, driftwood, plant matter, it can all cause smells. My 40B stream setup will randomly smell horrible, then the next day its gone. I've noticed it tends to depend on what I feed, because there will be times I feed my pumpkinseed garlic soaked tilapia and the next day will be a bad day for the smells.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Never have any smells coming from my tank unless using Hikary Algea Wafers. once I stopped using those no smell anymore. Just do a 50% water change once a week or every two weeks and you should not have any smells.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
As someone who also just set up a sump for tbe first time...you get a bit closer to your tank with a sump. My sump's completely open, tbe room is humid, and tbe water's gotta be clean or the room will stink...:). That's why I'm about to buy a chloramine filter and drip 2 GPH.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ocellatus

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2006
Canada
Only time I had that experience was when feeding massivore. The water would stink for a few hours, then clear up before next feeling.

O

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
You don't say if you are performing regular water changes. If you are I would do a deep vacuum during your next water change and lift any decorations you may have to dislodge any uneaten food or accumulated junk. Your fish tank should not stink.

As others have said monitor how much you are feeding your fish and some richer foods produce stronger smells.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store