Back in the Game... With a problem. Need some help.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
So after my big loss from the bad water outbreak, i took a break, resettled myself and got back into the Ray game slowly. I got 2 marbled motoros In my tank. Its a brand new tank, but with an old filter. After setting up my new tank and putting my rays in, i hooked up a wet dry filter from another tank onto it. Water was fine in the 125 gallon tank. But when i moved my wet/dry from the 125 to the 300 With new water and the rays, i think i may have created some sort of minicycle. So i dosed with prime, and the rays are eating. And im having an ammonia reading of about 1 which is extremely alarming. been about 4 days. I got about a 5 gallon bucket worth of ammonia chips. Should i put some into the filter?

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Sounds like a cycling issue. I would stick to water changes evry day if needed until the cycle completes. Another thing to consider, from my understanding, when using prime it can cause false readings.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
But moving it to a larger system more than twice the size could be causing it to go through a mini cycle. Thus the need to grow more beneficial bacteria so it can handle the larger volume.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
But moving it to a larger system more than twice the size could be causing it to go through a mini cycle. Thus the need to grow more beneficial bacteria so it can handle the larger volume.
Totally agree.
Large WCs every day would be best IMO, reduce the feeding slightly as well until the cycle is completed. WCs are key

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Putting a pair of rays in an unstable tank isn't the best idea. Good luck. If you're local to me I can give you some established media to further seed your tank. Otherwise, smaller frequent water changes are your best bet.

Fenton

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2013
Staffordshire, England
Remember as well prime is there to detoxify ammonia, not get rid of it. Smaller daily water changes are better and will give the bacteria more time to establish on what sounds like the filter needing to re-cycle. The prime will detoxify the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate for the fish in the mean time. So doing masive water changes all the time will only slow the process.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store