I want to get a big tank built out of 3/8" glass

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
The plan is for the tank to be 8' long x 3' wide x 1.5' tall. I would like to make the whole thing out of 3/8" glass but the two tank building company said they wouldn't make it out of anything less than 5/8".

All the tank building calculators I've used say that 3/8" is more than safe at that height, and at 5/8" it has a safety factor of like 14 which seems a little overkill.

What are your thoughts? Obviously bigger is safer, but is a safety factor of 5 good enough? I will have to move the tank in about a year and a half and I don't want it to weigh 700 pounds. It will also be a heck of a lot cheaper to get it made out of 3/8".

Icthisapian

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2012
Wareham, MA
i think it depends on the type of glass, tempered/regular. I'd be willing to wager donuts to dollars that a company doesn't want to build you a tank only to have a panel fail and be responsible for all of the damage and a new tank. I have a 2.5' tall tank with 1/2" tempered and never had an issue, three center braces as it was a 8.5' tank. so if you build it yourself. its your gamble. if they build it, well its their call to walk away.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
I can't blame them in the slightest for not wanting to build that tank, while the glass may be thick enough for the height there is a lot more to it than that. Over that length the glass will bow, even when short. Further, 3/8" does not give much glass for the silicone to bond to, so you will have weak seams. 5/8" is probably what I would go with in this situation as well. It gives a good deal more strength. Lot more to consider than just height when building a tank.

davis101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2009
canada
In order to aid with bowing, I would add more center braces. (probably 3) And I could add a euro style brace inside the tank if the amount of silicone would be a problem. I don't really see how having less silicone would affect it in this build. The sides of the tank would basically be placed under the same amount of pressure as my 45 gallon, and it is made out of thin glass.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
You asked the reason, I gave it to you, you can argue against it all you want but at the end of the day that is the reason. This is a completely different animal than your 45 gallon and the seams between the two really should not be compared.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Most, if not all, glass thickness calculators aren't very accurate when it comes to building large aquariums because they only deal with hydrostatic pressure and linear deflection rates. The principals of the mechanical advantage, torque, levers, and momentum should apply to aquariums as well. The longer a material is of the similar thickness, the less force/momentum it will take to break it. Doesn't matter what it is. Example, it's easier to break a long wooden stick over your knee than it is a short stick. In an aquarium the longer the glass panels are, the more deflection or bowing there will be.....not just outwards, but inwards and outwards. It will bow outwards more and more in the mid-section of the horizontal span the further away it gets from any corner supports. Some of this stress in that mid span, will be reverted inwards (when bracing is used), which incidentally compacts the center bracing. This is why in longer tanks, sometimes you'll see the center bracing bowing upwards a bit. If that bracing is too weak, it can be crushed/cracked and fail. The longer that center bracing is, the weaker it is also, which makes it more prone to failure. The longer the tank is, the more stress there will be on the corner seams also since the longer length causes more torque on the joint. It's like using a longer shovel to scoop dirt/snow/ect. The increased stress in the joints isn't directly caused from the water pressure, but from the longer shovel (glass panel) pulling at it with that increase in overall deflection. So fishguy306 is correct also, to keep the safety ratio's in check, more bonding surface area is needed for the joint to be siliconed. So thicker glass should be used to hold the joint together and to decrease the deflection. Larger tanks are a different beast, where the increased dangers need to be realized and respected.

Another thing, most center braces put a big wrinkle in the safety factors. A safety factor is only as high as it's weakest link. For glass tanks, that weakest link is usually some flimsy plastic (or brittle glass) center bracing. Ideally, the top bracing should be equally as strong as the rest of the tank, but it's usually compromised since people want plenty of access to the tank. I'm guilty of that myself with the tanks I've built. Live and learn. A solid top with a few access holes is usually the best thing these days, just as long as you have thick enough glass or acrylic. You can bust a solid top as well, if it the windows bow excessively.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store