Axolotl and Galaxy Catfish

SkeptikalScabies

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta
Hello, I own a tatia Intermedia (a nocturnal driftwood catfish, approx 5.5 inches long and as thick as a mini cucumber) (here's the fish! http://www.planetcatfish.com/shanesworld/shanesworld.php?article_id=423)
I want to add a Senegal Bichir to the tank, and I fear for the safety of my catfish.
My question is, can I house me catfish with an axolotl? The catfish refuses to leave its cave until the lights have been out for an hour. Axolotl are more active during the day because they are sight predators.
Axolotl can be aggressive and large, but will it dig out and kill my catfish?

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
the axolotl may be aggressive towards the catfish. Also to consider is axolotls prefer cooler temps.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
what size sen are you trying to put it with? at 5.5" that cat should be alright for quite some time. My senegal is like a water dog...comes to the glass when you walk in, swims around with my koliba and clown loaches, and is just generally good natured. He doesnt even bother the ghost shrimp in the tank haha.

Not saying all sens are that way, just my experience so far haha.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I think that axololtl is going to nip at ur catfish. Tatia don't get too big and will be picked on. If not then the sen or Tatia may bite on the gills of axololtl due to being very enticing. I would advise keeping the Mexican salamander by itself. Safer for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
The salamander will probably kill the cat. I personally would never risk keeping fish with anything other than other fish, aquatic inverts, or if saltwater then corals (in terms of animals).

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
Axolotls are not really sight predators. They have very poor eyesight and root around the substrate looking for food. They will bite anything that gets close to them because of that poor eyesight. For one reason or another, there is no combo of fish and axol that is safe. The best thing to do would be to set up another small tank until the fish can be together. I've never had a Senegal eat a fish bigger than a rosy tho

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store