motoro stingray tankmates?

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
I have a 150 5-2-2 with a 4 inch dovii in it. When the dovii gets a little older (big enough to not get eaten) i'm looking into getting a motoro stingray with him? I'm very new to ray keeping so I have no idea if this will work out. Trust me, I know that my dovii will be very aggressive but I'm not sure with a ray. Will they be ok with each other or just forget about it? Thanks.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I never kept a dovii but heard stories. Not sure how he will behave with a ray. That is a small footprint so the dovii could claim the whole territory and kill anything in his space. If you get a ray get one and look for a male as they stay smaller. I am not going to say your tank is too small but will say you better have a beefy filtration system that can handle large ammonia spikes. By beefy I am not talking turnover rate or what your filter says it can handle tank wise but I am talking about volume of bio media and added water volume that can add to system volume.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
haha dont worry, i have 2 fx6s

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
haha dont worry, i have 2 fx6s
The two fx6s will be nice but like spot said there really isn't much total water volume with a 150 to handle the ammonia so spikes can really easily happen. The dovii is going to get pretty big for the water volume so imo adding a rays bio load as well could be risky. Will be interesting to hear what others have to say maybe add a sump to enlarge the total water volume.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Lots of potential issues here..... Ray eating the dovii at night, dovii killing the ray, tank is too small for the ray and actually pretty small for a dovii if it's a male. I've kept plenty of aggressive cichlids with rays but in a larger tank. 150 is a nice size for a cichlid community or could potentially work for a smaller species of ray such as hystrix.

Username.

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2014
Virginia, US
Ok thanks guys. I was just curious to see how people would think about it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store