Gulper cat question

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
Do gulpers only like to eat huge fish? I fed mine some mollies that were relatively small in comparison and it doesn't seem to want to eat them. It's swimming around like it wants food but isn't eating the mollies.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Like most cats. They will eat what they can. Maybe the mollies are too quick for the catfish. Gulpers are a bit round and hard to chase down fish. How big is ur gulper? Sometimes larger fish won't look at smaller fish to eat b/c a bunch of smaller fish can confuse a larger predator.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

golcondorus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2006
Oregon
I was the size, I threw a tin foil barb in and the gulper eat it right up

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
It's been reported with various predatory catfish that sometimes they ignore a prey that's too small. Cannot say I've read this about gulpers but not surprised. Thanks for confirming this with gulpers.

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Seems like Gulper Catfish lack the ability to "suck in" prey items like other types of catfish. Mine seem to swim parallel to the prey fish and grab it sideways, almost like a gar. I bet the bigger fish are easier to catch . They also provide more calories for the same, or even less energy expenditure on the Gulper Catfish's part.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store