Red Rubin Swords

Nigelk8485

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2014
Louisville, KY
I ordered some ruffled swords online but just got the message today that they are out of stock or not suitable for delivery. They let me choose other plants to fulfill my order and I decided on Red Rubin Swords just to add some color to the tank. I'm curious if anyone else has these and if so could you post a picture of them?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; I have a Rubin Sword. It has been in a tank for a year or two. I found it to respond well to direct root ferts much like an Amazon Sword will. I used solid plant tabs with success.

A few weeks ago I noticed a some small new offspring growing next to the initial plant. As the initial plant was not doing real well at the time I decided try to separate it from the offspring. I discovered a large tuber had grown under the substrate and the new plants were sprouting from that. I took a chance and cut the tuber into three sections. One with the initial plant, one with the largest sprout, and one with a small cluster of about three small sprouts.

The largest sprout has done well and is producing a new sprout of it's own from it's portion of the tuber. I may need to further separate them as the newest sprout is too close to grow to a good shape without distorting the shape of both plants.

The initial plant had only a few small healthy leaves remaining at the center. I eventually did considerable trimming of and eventually removal of the old leaves leaving the small leaves and a portion of the tuber. The tiny leaves at the center have since been very slowly growing and have increased in number. Not sure why they have not done better, but the leaves look healthy. My assumption has been that the plant will fed on the tuber but it may be time now to add some solid fert at the roots.

The third bit of tuber having a few small sprouts has, so far, is not looking good. The sprouts are still alive but have not begun to produce new leaves.

At any rate I started with one plant a couple of years ago and it looks like I will have at least three decent plants and possibly more.

Sorry, but I do not have any pictures yet.

Good luck

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
It should be like any other sword. I currently keep
§ Echinodorus parviflorus - “Tropica Sword”
§ Echinodorus cordifolius cv. “Tropica Marble Queen”
§ Echinodorus sp. “Rose”
§ Echinodorus x “Altlandsberg”
§ Echinodorus x “Tanzende feuerfeder”

I want to get an Aflame sword and a Paul Klocker at some point as well. I grow all my swords in high light and co2, and soon also all of them in dirted aquariums once I re-scape my 75 gallon.

Expect the leafs to die off as most swords are sold as emersed growth and have to make new leafs for under water growth. As long as there is a single healthy little anything in the center of the plant you'll be fine in the long run.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store