Running an external aswell as a sump?

sparkyned

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
U.K
hello all,

i currently have a 5x2x2 tank with a 3foot sump, filled with pot scrubbers and al***rog, the return pump is 4000lph.

i have a all pond solutions 2000lph external filter with 9watt u.v spare, im wondering if i can utilise this in any way? i dont want to run pipes up to the tank so it would have to be run from the sump. is that possible?

do you think it would be worth while?

thanks

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I am just spitballin' and I'm sure someone will tell me I'm dumb but if you want to do that why dont you run the plumbing that is currently going to your sump to the filter instead then from the filter to the sump? its overkill but hey no such thing in aquaria right? you'd have to throttle that return pump from the sump a bit though I'd think

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
This would work, but it would be not as efficient as having the external directly in the main tank.

Predatorkeeper87 idea would be efficient but potential for flooding

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
al***rog,
:ROFL:

I tried it with a emperor 400 and it was not worth it. I ended up just running the drain from the tank directly into the back of the filter. it just missed too much otherwise.
no clue about a pond solutions 2000lph external filter. is it a hob, canister?

sparkyned

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
U.K
:ROFL:

I tried it with a emperor 400 and it was not worth it. I ended up just running the drain from the tank directly into the back of the filter. it just missed too much otherwise.
no clue about a pond solutions 2000lph external filter. is it a hob, canister?
lol y did it star that out? i never did that? :S

its a canister filter, i beleive its much the same as the sunsun filters?

Predatorkeeper87, i understand what you saying, but surely if this is only drawing 2000lph and the return pump is 4000lph then it wont cope and empty the sump because the return pump is out performing the canister? or not? im not sure

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania

Predatorkeeper87, i understand what you saying, but surely if this is only drawing 2000lph and the return pump is 4000lph then it wont cope and empty the sump because the return pump is out performing the canister? or not? im not sure
thats why you have to throttle the return pump, ya its far outperforming your canister lol. You'd need like a gate or ball valve on the return line to match the return to the intake. and as mentioned my idea has the serious potential for a flood if that return pump stops on you at any point. but it can be done, I'm sure there are riskier sump setups out there.

The only other way I can see you using the canister without running the hoses to the tank is to put the intake of the canister near the intake of your sump where the water comes down from the tank, and put the return hose near the return pump....it would be overkill for sure, but it might help polish your water a little bit more. Or you could just man up and run the hoses to your tank ;) haha, jk!

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan

no, it's the three letters the site auto-censored. over there it means cigarettes, here it's an insult for some members of the population. alfa grog is hard to come by in the US (unfortunately) so I don't see other people getting censored because nobody uses it.

you can run that filter on your sump, but it won't be as effective as running filter socks would be and will use electricity where filter socks wouldn't.
the amount of work to set up some filter socks for fine particulate filtering would be paid off quickly by not having to clean the cannister, after that it's just easier.
I wouldn't bother with the cannister.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
no, it's the three letters the site auto-censored. over there it means cigarettes, here it's an insult for some members of the population. alfa grog is hard to come by in the US (unfortunately) so I don't see other people getting censored because nobody uses it.
Thanks for clearing this up. I had no idea what was meant by "al***rog"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store