Newest Pickup, Couple of Questions.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
I picked this guy up Friday for $80 which was a steal so I had to do it. He's probably 5-7" not 100% sure. But he hasn't eaten anything since I've got him, what can I do? The guy at my LFS told me not to worry it might take him a bit to get used to his new tank. Right now he is in a bare bottom 75G by himself. I will be getting sand for him once I figure out which color sand will make his colors pop better, and I will also add some driftwood and live plants. Is there something wrong with him or just him adjusting? Water parameters are, temp is 81*, PH 7.2, ammonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0ppm, and nitrate 5ppm. I tried feeding him, sinking carnivore, frzn bloodworms, frzn mysis shrimp, frzn beefheart, frzn krill, shrimp pellets and another frozen carnivore pellet and he hasnt eaten anything. Is my tank setup bothering him? I have a couple rocks in for him for now to hide in. I'm starting to get worried, I dont want to lose an $80 fish, especially when I see all the others go for $150. BTW he is a Teugelsi

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Wouldn't worry too much. Give him a bit of time and he will eat soon. It needs to settle down. Would just turn off the lights in the room and make sure he has a hiding place at least to feel safe. Nice teugelsi by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
thats pretty normal for most bichirs. My koliba didnt eat for a week when I got him. he finally took a frozen feeder guppy, then from then on out it was shrimp, carnivore pellets and tilapia. He will take frozen minnow chunks too as a treat.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Any other foods I should get him? Silversides or anything? Thank you btw I almost got him for ornate price but at the last second they figured out it was a teugelsi. Never saw one before and I love it. My LFS said its the only one that they've had in in over three years and only got it on a trade in.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'd try frozen shrimp and tilapia. I wouldn't see why silversides wouldn't work too.

That would have been a crazy good deal I bet haha.

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
Alright I'll try that. They were feeding krill at the LFS so thats why I tried that. Thank you!

Rachel.Cody

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2014
Ohio
What color sand is best for the dark bichirs? Im thinking about just going and getting play sand so I can start his tank setup

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
This came up before. Could try Garnett colored sand. Will help to bring out the colors.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
What color sand is best for the dark bichirs? Im thinking about just going and getting play sand so I can start his tank setup

Dark sand works the best, either garnet or I've heard red works very well for bichirs. Personally I prefer a more natural look to mine...so I use pool filter sand. I have plant substrate underneath which is a dark red and it gets stirred up and mixed with the pool filter sand, so my bichirs so far have stayed darker. Plus the driftwood mine use to hide is dark so I think that helps as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store