Lima won't eat

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I've had my Lima shovelnose for a couple of days now and it isn't eating, tried pellets, cut up prawns, bloodworms and earthworms and it doesn't seem interested. I have it in a 20 gal with a 3" Oscar at the moment, would it possibly to better in my 33 gal with tetras and corys? These tanks are grow outs.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I wouldn't worry yet. Catfish can go a week without food no sweat. My striped raph went 3 months without eating back from jan-mar, I know because prior to that he was a diurnal feeder and he is again.

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
How big is the lima?

I went through this same thing with a lima i picked up a few weeks ago, but it turns out i was offering food that was too large. The lima I picked up was in the 5" range. I tried everything that you listed and as a last resort I offered mysis shrimp. The lima went crazy for the stuff.

Small limas have small mouths and need small food offered.

rgc54

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2014
West florida
I have 2 Limas 5" and 7" The 5" in new and both of them were shy about eating for about the first week. Try cut earth worms after lights out at night that started them to settle down for me. They are both very aggressive feeders now thou.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
The lima is only around 4" just now, I'm only worried because it looks pretty skinny already.. Will try cutting the food up smaller or try feeders until I fatten it up a bit, not sure what to use as feeders though if they have small mouths. Might have to move the Oscar to make sure the lima doesn't miss out on food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store