Ideas, and more ideas. Stocking opinions

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I recently got myself a fluval spec V (5gallon). I'm not usually a nano tank type of person, but it was on sale for $50 less than retail so I figured what the heck. Well, I have set up the tank and got the sand, wood, plants etc and now that I have that done and running it's time to start thinking about some stocking ideas. I have been tossing around several ideas but none seem like they would be enjoyable. I initially thought betta and then decided against it since I have some already. I'm into personable fish but it's not mandatory, I also like schooling fish again not mandatory. So give me your thoughts on stocking and where I can order the fish. I mean I have seen some nice options but... the fish is either seldom seen in the hobby or just plain out very hard to find. So ideas are welcomed for any fish I can either order or find in a lfs. This is my first REAL planted tank. I've had anubis before but anyone can keep anubis alive lol. Anyway let's hear those stocking suggestions.
uploadfromtaptalk1418159725377.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Shrimp

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
uploadfromtaptalk1418164249759.jpg

Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 5ppm

I like the shrimp idea but the only shrimp in my area are ghost shrimp and I would think there would be lots of fatalities if I ordered the shrimp because to me they don't seem that hardy to be getting shipped and all. Like the idea though. Any more.

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
Most shrimp tanks do better when aged.I would add a lot of stuff from other established tanks:wood, rocks, decor.I had cherry shrimp -crs shipped and they were fine, you can also order snails

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Most shrimp tanks do better when aged.I would add a lot of stuff from other established tanks:wood, rocks, decor.I had cherry shrimp -crs shipped and they were fine, you can also order snails

Thx for the tips. The driftwood was in a tank at the lfs for months. The rock was as well. The sand is new and the plants were in display tanks at the lfs the. I would like to stay away from shrimp, and bettas. Those were the two ideas I found the most boring.

I like the CPDs. How many could I have? Any more. These are great ideas keep them coming guys!

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
White clouds get overlooked I think, there are now long finned and albino varieties available.another idea is badis

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store