Noob Ray keeper here. question on cleaner food.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Hi, i apologize for so many posts. But I posted another earlier thread because of water issue which is getting fixed... But i have a question on food. My marbled motoros and previous rays all seem to be messy eaters.. Is there any foods i can feed it so they wont blow out food particles everywhere? I am feeding Basa fillets right now... Cheapest fish i can currently find. But they seem to blow the basa particles everywhere. i think this may also be affecting it's water quality.

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
live redworms or nightcrawler worms.. i just order some from ebay

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
I only fed Swai once, hated the mess. Just spend a lil' more $$ for tilapia. Also, the 2-3" smelt are cheap, just chop them into a few chunks.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I only fed Swai once, hated the mess. Just spend a lil' more $$ for tilapia. Also, the 2-3" smelt are cheap, just chop them into a few chunks.
PETE! How you been? haha you are actually the one who inspired me to keep rays after seeing your tank! :D I think Basa and Swai is actually the same thing. As for the smelt... My rays dont seem to eat the bones... they just tear the flesh off... does your ray do that?

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Shrimp, squid, and tilapia are the way to go as far as seafood is concerned.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Try scallops too. My rays seem to have really messy, stinky poop when they've eaten a lot of pellets or worms.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
My male is having trouble chewing or eating the basa as it is, and I feel that it's a pretty soft fish. Is squid difficult to eat for them? I am going to try shrimp tomorow again. But so far best eaten food is cut up basa but it's so messy...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stingray keeper

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2013
Canada
Tilapia and Shrimp are not too messy. but pellet is imo a great source of nutrition and depending on the type of pellet not too messy either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store